Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Permission letter? >

Permission letter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Permission letter?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Permission letter?

I just moved to a more rural area recently,and see a few wooded lots and farms around that look like good areas to deer hunt.Anyhow I was wondering if any of you ever have wrote letters to local farmers/landowners to get permission,and if so had any success.I don't want to bug any of the local farmers right now while they are out working thier fields,but thought a letter with a return envelope (and stamp)would be an option.I figure asking now with an offer to do somee electrical,or some labor work would be good timing.What are you all's thoughts about this?Thank's for any replies.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Permission letter?

Not very personal, and they will likely toss it in the trash. Reverse it, what would you think if someone sent you a letter asking to hunt on their land......heck, he doesn't even know who you are.

You are right about not bothering them right now. They are very busy. Wait a month and it will calm down. Print up a business card listing all of your credentials...bowhunter education, hunter education, and whatever else you may think relevant. Present yourself in a professional manner. If you happen to see them outside messing around in the yard or whatever, that's usually a good time.

Stay away from the letter, though. IMO
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Many guys around our part of the woods do that, with a nice result.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Yea, offering to help a farmer or landowner is the key to getting in.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Mobowhunter I think if someone sent me a letter asking permission and offering to work I would seriously consider it.If and when I do write these letters and send them out I will be sending many of them out,and my address,as well as phone number will be on the letters,offering them to call me collect and a return stamped envelope inside.Many of these farmers when theey see my address on the letter will probably recognize me,cause many drive by my house daily,and wave.I just don't know where many of them live that drive by.I may also use a local farmer as reference that lets me hunt on a limited basis.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:40 PM

Hey, if you like it, go for it. You won't get permission if you don't ask.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, you and I think alike. I was thinking about writing a letter just yesterday. The only difference in our situations is that the owners of the property by me live one state over. It's kind of impractical to drive all the way over there. I was thinking of writing them a nice professional letter listing my credentials and other important facts. I think it sounds like a good idea in that aspect.

However, if you have the means to talk directly to them, I would just ask them face to face. This way they don't have to be bothered with a letter or anything else. I thought of sending that same letter out to some other properties in the area, but then decided to go talk face to face so it seems more personal.

So, if I were you, I would try just talking to them, that seems like the best option in my book.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok first thing i would do is just go see him and see if anyone else is hunting them and then offer to do work around the place and i mean just aobut anything they want that is not really expensive and then ask him in return if you could hunt it for your work. Then give him deer meat or fish or any other peace offering regularly about every month to stay on his good side alswo tell him if you dont come he can hunt the stand if he really wants to
Old 04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

A personal approach is better i think. Fill out a card with your information on it and go see the man meet him talk with him let him know your intentions. Give him the card afterwards and let him think it over.....all the while let him know youd be willing to help with fences and such. I actually help one of the guys i hunt on harvest his crops i drive the grain wagon for him to speed his process up it works really.........try it.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

its been my experience that face to face is the best way to ask someone to use their property. By writing a letter the home owner doesnt get to meet the person and make a generalization about the person on if the person is trust worthy. So I would do it face to face when the farmer is on a day off if he has one

Quick Reply: Permission letter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.