Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

humboldt deer

Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default humboldt deer

check this out

Old 04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: humboldt deer

I used to hunt Humboldt County but I moved away with the Coast Guard. Just curious, was this on private land? Those kind of bucks get pretty scarce on the public lands during rifle. I had permission from a dairy farmer in Ferndale and we slayed'em there. The farmer irrigated his pasture and it was full of well fed deer.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

what is it? what's so special about them?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

what is it? what's so special about them?
ditto...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Typical Buck

Well kwilson this pic was taken in redway on my way to a job out there. Im a roofer. Squirrelkilla and ditto this is a coastal columbian black tail deer which rarely get this big unless on private hunting land
Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

OH
Old 05-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer in Humboldt County, CA are the same as the Blacktail Deer that are hunted in Oregon and Kodiak, Alaska. Generally, their antlers are not as big as muleys or whitetails. California does have muleys and blacktails and this one seems to 'have some muley in the woodpile' with the size and shape of his antlers. The seasons and antler measurements are strictly determined by the location (and thereby species) of the deer.They can be very tough to hunt. They live in steep terrain covered by thick brush and often temps soar during the season (Aug-Sept). However, if it rains, leave work immediately to getyour gunbecause these deer love the rain.

The locationof this one would be in the blacktail area if my memory serves me correctly. Northern California is also famous for steep terrain, bigfoot, hippies, wine, redwood trees and prolific marijuana growth. It's like a crossbreed between Los Angeles and West Virginia. The area definitelyhascultural diversity as well assome incredibly beautiful country. This buck lives near the tree that Madame Butterfly inhabited to protest logging. Northern California was on the verge of becoming its own state when WWII diverted their attention.

If you think you're states' hunting regs are complex, take a look at California's someday...

I digress. Bottom line is that he is a very good blacktail buck.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats a nice deer

Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aren't blacktails usually on par, antler size wise, with Florida whitetails? If so, that's a huge blacktail. I thought they usually ran about 75" or so.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

The deer in Humboldt County, CA are the same as the Blacktail Deer that are hunted in Oregon and Kodiak, Alaska. Generally, their antlers are not as big as muleys or whitetails. California does have muleys and blacktails and this one seems to 'have some muley in the woodpile' with the size and shape of his antlers. The seasons and antler measurements are strictly determined by the location (and thereby species) of the deer.They can be very tough to hunt. They live in steep terrain covered by thick brush and often temps soar during the season (Aug-Sept). However, if it rains, leave work immediately to getyour gunbecause these deer love the rain.

The locationof this one would be in the blacktail area if my memory serves me correctly. Northern California is also famous for steep terrain, bigfoot, hippies, wine, redwood trees and prolific marijuana growth. It's like a crossbreed between Los Angeles and West Virginia. The area definitelyhascultural diversity as well assome incredibly beautiful country. This buck lives near the tree that Madame Butterfly inhabited to protest logging. Northern California was on the verge of becoming its own state when WWII diverted their attention.

If you think you're states' hunting regs are complex, take a look at California's someday...

I digress. Bottom line is that he is a very good blacktail buck.
You did mean grab your BOW right?

Quick Reply: humboldt deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.