Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 knocking on the door vs. land owner outside? >

knocking on the door vs. land owner outside?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

knocking on the door vs. land owner outside?

Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default knocking on the door vs. land owner outside?

how do you feel about knocking on the door versus driving by the landowners home/farm and asking for permission? how do you go about asking.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: knocking on the door vs. land owner outside?

I've just called them up since I know them, or asked them during shotgun season. But we did drive up and ask one guy that we knew. But if it were somebody I didn't know I would just go up and knock on the door.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dress professional, don't wait til the day before the seasons, be polite, offer to help on the farm, house, barn, share the harvests etc.....

Old 04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Site Buck Guru

My favorite method is to pull up in the yard, knock on the door and when someone answers, proclaim..." This looks like a good place to hunt, where would you like me to park?"
Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM

A favorite technique of mine is to drive around farm country during the summer. Pull up with an ice chest full of cold sodas and water, those farmers will talk your ear off. Sometimes you won't get the permission you're looking for, but sometimes you will.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

when we were goose hunting last year we were drivin around fallowing the geese to see where they were landing during the day. and when we found the field, we found out who owned that field we simply went up and asked. and since it was my first time ever huntin my buddy's used me and said it was my first time and they wanted to give me a really good time
Old 04-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure am glad we don't have to put up with all that. Up here in the land of the free it is understood that if its not posted it is huntable. We have some posted land but not that much. I sure like it this way it makes life so much easier. It never hurts to have land owner permission tho. One time I stoped and asked the farmer about hunting and he got really nasty and stated its not posted is it don't bother me I'm busy. So I learned my lesson from then on. I hated Va. not only did you have to get permission but the hunting clubs had everything. There wasen't a land owner anywhere that would give you permission to hunt as the clubs had them all sceard. So you joined a club and hunted their way or you didn't hunt. MIke
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM

i guess this has to be done around farm areas? Driving in the mountains looking for good land is probably hard, or impossible. B/c with flat farm land u can see the land and where the house is (usually) and then u can go from there and ask or whatever. In the mountains, its harder i would think b/c u cant see the persons land. any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Find the land, go to the court house, get the right name and land owner and then go knocking on doors or walking across the field to the broken farm equipment under repair or something. But it really is nice to know the guys name. It's even nicer to make sure you have the REAL owner and not some guy renting the house or who's trying to hoard it for himself. That said, I haven't knocked on a door in several years but will when I move South. Although, I've already been given permission to hunt 2 farms and another chunk of woods in Georgia. One farmer wants me to kill them all. Also says he's covered up with hogs. Party PARTY PARTY
Old 04-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Can i come David????

Quick Reply: knocking on the door vs. land owner outside?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.