Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 purpose for a level on the sight >

purpose for a level on the sight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

purpose for a level on the sight

Old 04-23-2006, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: purpose for a level on the sight

Ah, you areso right.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 AM

Obviously Fred Bear was repetitive when he canted his bow. Just as long as you can repeat it everytime it dont matter what you do, but it sure is a bad habit to form.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 AM

Just another BS feature that you don't need. Do you think Fred Bear needed a "level" onhis bow to let him know if his bow wasn't leaning? Of course not!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM

All depends on what distances you shoot and how accurate you are, or how good your form is. Most I have seen shoot recurve cant the bow, I think it has something to do with keeping the arrow on the shelf while drawing and holding. Not sure because I don't shoot traditional.

It really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it the SAME EXACT way every time. If you cant the bow on one shot, and then don't on the next it will change the impact point of the arrow. The farther the distance, the more it will be off. Using a level helps keep the bow the same for every shot.

Do you need one? No, I don't even use a peep sight most of the time at hunting distances let alone a level. However if you are trying to be the most accurate you can be it would certainly help. Unless you have perfect form from shot to shot.

Paul
Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

For shorter shots (-20yds-20yds) not a lot, past 20yds, if your off just a little bit it will throw that arrow way off.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear shot a recurve. The arrow was very close to his hand. Recurve shooters can get away with it because the arrow is on the axis of rotation as you cant your bow. With a modern compound, the arrow is a couple of inches above the hand. When you cant a compound, the arrow is moved a much greater distance off the target line. This is why you miss more when canting a compound than with a recurve.

Shoot a couple of groups with your bow tilted in varying degrees and see what happens. You'll see why the level is there...
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rickmur

titleAndStar(4343,0,false,false,"Life Member","")
Life Member

[align=center][/align]
I know I use mine but didn't Fred Bear cant his bow ? Does it matter if it's a recure or a compound? [align=right]
[/align]
Sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. I agree with gzg38bthatwith recurve bowsthe arrow is almost at the deadcenter of the axis, and in theroy you could even hold the bow upside down and it should shoot the same provided you could hold the arrow on the shelf before being released.