Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow for Wife

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow for Wife

My wife has expressed an interest in shooting a bow. She doesn't want to hunt but thinks it would be fun to join me during practice and do some shooting. Any suggestions on a good cheap bow for her (don't want to sink a lot of money in a bow that she ends up not using). Maybe something that will be able to be used by one of my kids later if they decide to hunt? I'd like something in a low poundage range that can be cranked up later to hunting specs (45# in VA) later if one of the kids use it. Nothing fancy,just smooth draw and dependable. Suggestions?

Also, you women bowhunters, any pointers for a lady starting out? I don't want her to end up hating it right off the bat because of something I didn't consider.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow for Wife

Come on lady bowhunters. Post what bow you use. No ideas anyone?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife just got into archery this winter and she bought a Hoyt RinTec XL. This is a really nice bow for ladies because the poundage is lower and also it is lightweight and very manageable ATA. She is currently shooting 44# and it is very fast. I would highly recommend this bow, especially if you want to use the bow for your kids some day. This is a high quality piece of gear. We checked out several bows, such as the Browning Micro Adrenaline and the rest of the bows just felt a little cheap because they are entry level bows, but this Hoyt is also entry-level, but it is not built like it, it has all of the quality parts of the top end hoyts, just in a smaller package.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Alpine Impact Extreme 26-30" 60 lb limbs. My g/friend hunted with it for 2 years. Had it set down to 43lbs. Complete pacage ill sell it for 200$.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

How tough is 43# for a woman to pull? She's not a very big/strong girl. I was thinking she would need to start out around 25#. What poundage did the women on this forum start at?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 10 yr old son, which mind you only weighs 68 lbs. Draws 37 lbs
Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM

I'm a 5'6" female and started at 48#. It took some practice but I was at 54# for hunting season. I shoot a Martin Saber which cost $339 just for the bow.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 PM

I shoot a Reflex Excursion (Reflex is made by Hoyt) and it is set at 43#. I am 5'2" and had no trouble drawing that much from the beginning. Now that it is Spring and I am out practicing more I am planning on upping the poundage gradually. I love my bow and it was 300 and something last year at Cabela's for the bow, sight, rest, and quiver (I don't remember if that was a special or what but it was a package deal -- and I can't find it on their web site now). I have since replaced the arrow rest with a whisker biscuit and added a peep site. I wanted one that would move up with me and I did not want to invest major money in a first bow (in case I got into it and did not like it). I also looked at the Parker bows and shot a couple that were nice but fell in love with the excursion and that was that. A friend of ours got a Parker for his wife and she loves it. I would suggest taking her to a store that carries bows and have her try them out for herself. I know a major thing for me was the grip ... I have small hands and what felt wonderful to my husband was too large for me to even think about using!

And, even though I do hunt, I think one of the best things about this was the time I get to spend with my husband now. Before I would stay home when his friends got together to practice and I was doing something else when he was practicing at home but now I get to tag alone (probably should mention I am a tomboy from way back) and I love practicing with him and his friends in addition to the time we spend practicing at the house.

Good luck finding a bow and have fun!

Shannon
Old 04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife started out at like 40# I think, but that was so that she would be able to do a good amount of shooting before tiring, so we haven't cranked hers up yet.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Spike

There's a vast difference from one Lady to the next as far as draw weight. Some do good to reach a 40# draw while others it's real easy. Best to go to a Pro Shop and finda comfortable range for her. The worst thing you can do is to over bow her for target shooting.

Quick Reply: Bow for Wife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.