Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fallen Out

Old 04-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fallen Out

Close, once. I was hanging a stand for my father to hunt the next day. I was wearing my rock climbing harness and thought I had locked myself in "pole climber style" with a looped static line, but must have missed the loop and the beaner caught on the knot so it held when I tested it. I was in the middle of hanging the stand and, Thank the Lord, I had already attached the main strap. Suddenly the knot slipped through the beaner and I was falling backwards. I was able to catch the standplatform with my left hand and did a one-handed tarzan imitation. Was able to get back on my steps and climb down. The last joint of my middle finger was sore for a couple of weeks but that was all. God was watching out for me. Goes to show that even when you're trying to be safe unforseen things can happen. So always take as many safety measures as you can.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never fallen and of course I hope I never do! I am a big believer in being attached at all times.Summitts Prusic hitch system is great.You owe it to your family and your self to take every precaution possible!
Being comfortable and secure lends itself to greater confidence also which can only help when your shot opportunity presents itself,especially if you have to be in an awkward position or lean into your safety belt.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:32 PM

I had a homemade climber come apart and leave me hanging by my harness in mid-air once. Made me a firm believer in safety harnesses ever since. What I really hate is dozing off in the stand and waking up as you're leaning forward!!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM

I actually came to the bottom of the tree with my climber, or so I thought, still hooked up to my safety belt. I stopped and took off my safety equipment and dropped it on my stand, turned and stepped off the climber. Well, it was twilight and it turned out I was still about 5 feet up in the tree. That first step was a killer!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Never fell yet...Knock on wood. I used to be a utility company lineman when I was young and fell off a pole once. Lots of slivers and a damaged ego but nothing perminant.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM

OUCH! Glad you are OK. One time I had came to the "botom" stepped off of the stand backwards only to realize that I was still about 5 feet up. Didn't hurt anything but my pride.I wouldn't wish that on anyone.......except for the jerk that stole my stand last year.