Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TENNESSEE: Black Bear Attack >

TENNESSEE: Black Bear Attack

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TENNESSEE: Black Bear Attack

Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 PM

Default RE: TENNESSEE: Black Bear Attack

ORIGINAL: bullcan

Unfortunately this incident will create unecessary fear toward black bears.
Wouldn't it be better if everyone was scared of them instead of thinking they are cute little stuffed animals to feed pop tarts to. You should be afraid of them.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:20 PM

[quote]I don't know why everyone is surprised. Black bears are more aggressive than any other bear.

WRONG!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ashame ,but it is a wild animal. So they are hunting it down for what it does naturally
Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never lose your fear for a wild animal, especialy a big one. Hell, domesicated dogs will attact. I was even attacted by a damn rooster one time.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to live in the Nashville area and every year would spend a week up in the Smokey Mountains area. I can't tell you how many times I've seen groups of people walking out into the woods with their little kids in tow to see "the bear". Once I came across a group of maybe 15 or 20 (many of them were youngsters) looking at some bears. I stoped and started counting and came up with 9 bears with in 50 yards of me, and I was still in my vehicle. Several were sows with yearling cubs. Many of these uninformed parents were taking their kids to within 10 yards of these animals so they could get a picture. I couldn't believe it. No one got hurt that day but it was only by God's grace no one did. With people like that its a wonder more people don't get attacked. Many bears in that area have little or no fear of man.

BTW- I'm not sure about now but there use to be a bear season in Tn.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Ashame ,but it is a wild animal. So they are hunting it down for what it does naturally
My symphathies go out to the family.The bear is wild AND they were inthe bear's home - not the other wayaround.... I hope before the authoritiessimply kill thisbear and mark it as akillerthey try to find outwhy it attacked..

I'm not a bear expert, but does anyone know if cubs are born yet? couldit have been a mother protectingher young fromwhat sheviewed as a threat?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the cute animal with the big claws and teeth. LOL

Ohio for all it's plus's has some very negitive negitives. One is that we can carry only one weapon at a timeand no firearms during bow season. We have a growing bear population.Put the two together. The reason is, they want to stop poachers and it's them same reason we can't cut deer up and bring them out, it must be whole when checked in. My question has been for a long time to them. What poacher is going to check anything in? I hope they rethink the firearms laws before it's to late, let a person protect themselves from whatever threatens them, be they bears or drugproducers, and punish the law breakers not the law abiding.[:@]
Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 AM

That does suck, I feel bad for the family.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:55 AM

imagne what the familys going threw i feel bad for them, i was watching cnn when i got home from work this morning , they were trying to say the bear might have been sick. but i just thinkit just one of the cases of getting to close to wild anamals
Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for the family. Black Bears attack in MB quite often..... always spring and fall never summer. If you were to wake up after sleeping almost the hole winter and couldn't find food right away, well when you did you would protect it,as well as sows w/cubs.In the fall they are getting ready for sleeping.....packing on the pounds. This is the most dangerous time of year especially when there is limited food. Last year in MB was the worst year in many for wild berries so bear attacks went up, first incident involved an elderly man out picking wild plum', he didn't make it. The second incident involved a man that was protecting his dog....... small dog on a teather rope tied to the house=bait...... he fought the bear off and both lived. My brother in-law was also chased from the stocked trout ponds by a black bear, lucky he was on a quad,there were several more and is every year here.Another generalization that is made about Black Bears that attack...... most are juvenile and are just learning to fend for themselves, so when they do find food that they like they protect it. Any bear that doesn't run at the site of man..... be weary!
The only wild bear that is safe to approach is a dead one. Just look at the 'Grizzley Man'

Quick Reply: TENNESSEE: Black Bear Attack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.