Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penetrating the Shoulder Blade >

Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

Old 04-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

I would never intentionally try to shoot through the shoulder blade of a deer but sometimes bad shots happen accidently. How much kinetic energy does it take to consistently penetrate the shoulder blade of a deer? I get between 73 and 80 ft-lbs depending on which arrow I shoot out of my Hoyt Razortec at 70lbs and 30" draw. I plan on using a slick trick 1 1/8" Magnum 100 grain broadhead this year. I'm going to Illinois on a once in a lifetime hunt this fall and I want every advantage I can get for those big Pike county suckers.....
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

I get considerably less KE from my setup (around 63lbs)and i have passed throughshoulders with Muzzy's and also Magnus stingers. I think you have more than enough KE. Thats not the best shot to take but I havent had a deer run more than 100 yards after being hit dead center in the shoulder. Good luck in Illinois this season.

Zach
Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

i have a darton at about 63-65lbs and i can shoot through with muzzy
Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

KE, momentum,arrow diameter, arrow material, arrow tune, shot angles, location on the shoulder blade itself (it's not the same thickness througout),animal size,broadhead design,cutting diameter......am I missing anything?

There are too many variables involved to narrow down a "Shoot don't shoot" involving shoulder blades on animals.

There will be those that say they can shoot through, those that can't ,even those that say they shoot through BOTH shoulders??Which also begs the question if some even know enough about animal anatomy to determine exactlyt what was hit.
The far edge of the "paddle" is different than the bony ridge of the spine of the shoulder blade.
Too many factors to make direct comparisons without in depth forensic type stuff.

Bottom line:
Do what you are doing in planning for the worst, do your best to avoid that shot and hope that one or more of the above variables comes through for you if you find yourself in that situation.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

KE, momentum,arrow diameter, arrow material, arrow tune, shot angles, location on the shoulder blade itself (it's not the same thickness througout),animal size,broadhead design,cutting diameter......am I missing anything?

There are too many variables involved to narrow down a "Shoot don't shoot" involving shoulder blades on animals.

There will be those that say they can shoot through, those that can't ,even those that say they shoot through BOTH shoulders??Which also begs the question if some even know enough about animal anatomy to determine exactlyt what was hit.
The far edge of the "paddle" is different than the bony ridge of the spine of the shoulder blade.
Too many factors to make direct comparisons without in depth forensic type stuff.

Bottom line:
Do what you are doing in planning for the worst, do your best to avoid that shot and hope that one or more of the above variables comes through for you if you find yourself in that situation.
Nailed it!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt saved Rob and me some serious typing; he's good about that!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM

When you hit heavy bone the whole world of kinetic energy theory gets turned on its ear, momentum becomes the driving force then. The best thing to do is concentrate on accuracy and avoid the problem all together.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

When you hit heavy bone the whole world of kinetic energy theory gets turned on its ear, momentum becomes the driving force then. The best thing to do is concentrate on accuracy and avoid the problem all together.
yes sir.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:32 PM

hey what these guys are saying is right on!!!!!!!!if you hit the shoulder near the socket most likely your not going to penatrate at all.the shoulder blade is a different storyyou mite get through one of those,two i dont know. unless you got gun powered behind your arrow i would stay away from that shoulder, rather hit him a little far back then in the shoulder!!!! Good luck on your hunt this year. let us know how you do out there!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Besides all of that I have seen guys get pass thrus on shoulder hits and never find the deer. Its to far forward with a bow.

Quick Reply: Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.