Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hardest Animal to Hunt? >

Hardest Animal to Hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hardest Animal to Hunt?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Hardest Animal to Hunt?

I was just curious to know what might besome of the hardest animal everyone has hunted?

Them dang Coyotes keep gining me the slip! Rifle is not too difficult but with a Bow... Forget it! (well..Me anyhow!)
Old 04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hardest Animal to Hunt?

as far as I've heard bighorns are tough bowhunting. Never done it, but read a lot into it and sounds real tough. Tough shot angles, tough to approach, smart animal all around. I'd imagine that'd be a real tough test. But then again, i've never hunted them. soooooo....for now the toughest animal I've hunted with my bow is a fully mature white tail.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

snipes
Old 04-03-2006, 12:32 AM

Anything that can eat you if you miss!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

Well I have hunter just about everything in north america and the one animal I have the most trouble with is the quality blacktail buck of the north west. Hard to pattern and very elusive. they don't just hang out in fields like whitetails and live in some of the most gawd awfull country in the world steep over grown mountains Its almost always raining during the late season and in the early season most of the best areas are closed due to fire danger. There tuff... IMHO any thing else on the continant is a piece of cake
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Toughest animal to hunt. No question about it.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 AM

I'd have to agree with Rich.... I've read that Blacktails are bowhunting's greatest challenge..... I would think coues deer, and all the sheep would be right there at the top as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think a Rhinoceros would be very hard to get with a bow. But I have a hard time finding a buck white tail.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

snipes
Yep. My bag always tears.

Actually, the hardest thing I have every hunted with a bow would be, Yotes. Turkey and deer second.

David,

Your using the wrong scents as well as the wrong heads for that game animal. Watering holes are the best place to stalk that prey. Let them drink long enough and your odds will greatly improve.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunt?

All I can relate to for "bowhunting" purposesis Elk, Whitetails, Turkey and Black Bear, since these are the only animals I hunt with a bow.

For me personally in my region, with a bow, any whitetail buck from my home area that reaches 5 years and older is the toughest to hunt/kill, especially when your singling out onematurebuck and hunting him specifically.Bucks as they age become very accustomed to moving duringlow light conditions. They just don't move much during the daytime here as they get older and our rut is falls during the rifle season so bowhunting them during the rutcan be challenging with all the gunners.

Second I would say with a bow is agobbler, any 2 year old or older gobbler with a bow is a pretty decent challenge in my book. I leave Jakes out because they are so easy to call in and rarely have any hens to hold them.

Third is a mature bull elk. I feel they are easier than mature bucks with a bow from my experienceandare very close to a wise a ole gobbler, I give the gobbler the nod over the bull because the bull is a much larger target and will often throw caution to the wind during the heat of the rut which our Idaho bowhunting elk season falls during the rut. An old herd bull once he gets his herd established becomes a very formatable opponent though. Bulls and gobblers are actually pretty even in my book.

Bear are easy to kill with a bow if you bait them and stand hunt them, even the older bears, here anyway.... Now spot and stalking bear with a bow in any type of big country, that's a whole different matter. I know, I have done it and oftenhave often came up short.

I am sure every area has it's own challenges. Bowhunting sheep or goats would have to be a challenge just from a terrainstandpoint alone. I would have to think spot and stalking mature muleys in open terrain would be a heck of a challenge. I plan to do that some year when I can get away from my whitetails forweek, that may be a long time!

Last, Ifeel human pressure is probably the greatest factor on all animals when it comes to their behavior and how "tough" they are to hunt. If an animals doesn't recoginize human odor, movement or sound as dangerous, the likelyhood of getting bow-close is elevated.

Quick Reply: Hardest Animal to Hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.