Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Winn Free Release >

Winn Free Release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Winn Free Release

Old 03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winn Free Release

does anyone on here use one of these releases by any chance. i have always shot with my fingers and have tried to transition to a release but it's just to akward for me. would this be a good compromise??? i can tell that i don't get a consistent release right now when i shoot, this of course could be from not shooting as much as i would like to. any tips on this release or making my finger release better would be much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Winn Free Release

I currently hunt with the Winn Free Flight release. But it is because it is the first release I bought when I was shooting over 80 lbs. You can pull back a ton with it. However I now shoot Carter and stanislawski releases for target shooting with back tension. I just bought a truball tornado that I'm going use for hunting, It is a caliper release and you can shoot it with back tension. This is the most accurate way to trigger a release. You cannot do that with the Winns. I recomend that you get a caliper release.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad has been shooting with this kind of release for years. and i mean years. he loves it because the way you hold your hand around it or somethin like that. idk, but he loves the thing and its the only one that he uses.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've had a c-10 for so long I cannot remember. I agree with Greg, you can easily draw a lot with it. I like mine so much that I have a back up c-10 just incase I lose one.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

my dad and two of my brothers have used them since they came out. all of them have had it break though. my dad made a tru ball caliper release fit on it (before they came out with a caliper style) and my one brother switched to a caliper release. the other just replaces the part that breaks on it every year so that its fresh every season. i cant rember what part breaks but it wont hold the string when it does.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

oh and i shoot a tru fire caliper ive shot it for 11 years with no failures.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

the only reason i switched to a scott was i had a loop installed on the new tribute and the winn would be tough to use with it. I have used the SAME freeflite for more than 10 years and NOTHING ever broke on it.. for 5 or so of those years i shot every day!!!!!the glove is in real bad shape but everything else is aok! i have no problem recommending it. i just hope the lilgoose is as good as the freeflight has been.

good luck
cart
Old 03-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a caliper release made by cobra but it just seems unatural to shoot with it. i'm so used to pulling with my fingers that i can't pull as much weight with the release. that's why i thought the winn free release would be good. the weight is still on your hand but has the precision of a release. i may work at the finger shooting some more. i can get very good hunting accuracy still with fingers but i know i can do better.

i've heard that adding 5#'s of weight to the bow tension allows for a cleaner release when shooting fingers is this true???
Old 03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot the Winn with the hook for use with a string loop. Works great and offers very fast hook up. Only problem I have is you can't use your hand asfreely as you can with other releases such as climbing the tree reaching into your pocket to retrieve somethingetc, etcwhile wearing the release.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Hunter06FlKy
I had shot fingers for~39 years, and switched to a Winn Free SS release Feb '05 (with a loop on the bow string). The local pro shophad a Winn Free SS release laying around for me to try, I liked the mechanical advantage of the grip, I dislike that it ties your hand up - the gal at the pro shop opined that most long-time finger shooters are unable to transition. I tell you, it was difficult - there are a few arrows in my back yard that I still haven't found... But I stuck with it and practiced ~every day last summer. Early on, I would "convulse" (for the lack of a better word) every 6 or7 arrows. But after three or four weeks, I settled down, the convulsionsbecamemore infrequent. My hunting partner advised me toput mythumbof my release hand against the side/back of my neck, andthat helped me(along with practicingreleasingat close rangewith my eyes closed). By hunting seasonI was pretty settled in and had no problems this past fall. I just ordered a third my third release ("spare" - spare). Good luck with it.
-fsh

Quick Reply: Winn Free Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.