Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 May give up on Digital Game Cameras >

May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Default May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Well guys, I may just give up on digital game cameras and go back to the "old" 35mm units. Yesterday I woke up to about 30 turkey in my food-plot in my back yard. I was pumped up as I figured I would take my Cuddeback 3.0 and my Trail Mac Digital (fresh back from the company) and set them up in hopes of getting some bird pics. Well, I set them up at 1:30 p.m. with brand new batteries in both units. After work this evening I decided to just check the units for the heck of it.

When I opened the lid of the Cuddeback and pressed the menu buttons there was no response. I tried putting in new batteries and nothing again. I pulled the memory card out and went over the to the Trail Mac. I open it up and find that it is still working properly. I go to view the pictures and the batteries (Energizer rechargeables) are entirely dead (I had just pulled them out of the charge the day before). I put new batteries in and find that I had one picture. I brought the memory card up from my Cuddeback and found that it had 500 pics of nothing. The camera started taking pictures as soon as I set it up and didn't stop until the memory card was full. I am not sure if this fried the unit, but like I said it won't even turn on now.

The Trail Mac Digital that I sent to the company is still having battery life problems and my Cuddeback 3.0 just entirely gave up on me for no reason. I am gonna try some different batteries in the Trail Mac and hopefully find some that last longer and Cuddeback will be getting a call from me tomorrow.

I am seriously considering going back to the 35mm film units. Sure, I gotta buy film and pay to get it developed but geez, I never had any problems with my $65.00 cheapo Stealth Cams.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: May give up on Digital Game Cameras

wow sounds like your havin lots of problems
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM

BM,
Three words... homebrew digital camera. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have now tested a dozen digital scouting cameras and I know how frustrating it can be. With many of the cameras you never know what you are going to get each time you go to collect your pictures, but do not despair. They are not all that bad.

Take a look at www.woodlandspycam.com. I have one and overall it is the best one of the twelve. I believe they have some new ones coming out soon as well.

The Penn's Woods that I have is a good one also, but it is more expensive.

Don't give up yet. Even after several of my twelve giving me headaches I would not go back to 35mm. Once you get a good one you won't either.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Woodlandspy uses the same boards as the homebrews.

1 9v for the sensor will last 8-9 months. 2 AA batteries in the camera last about 2 weeks depending on # of pics taken, flash, etc.

Couple pics from last week.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I think you need to go back and read all directions and make sure you have everythig set up properly as I know both cameras are good cameras and i havent had a problem with either one unless my settings are wrong.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
CDG

Have you seen the Moultrie Gamespy 100? If you've seen the cuddeback commercial its the second camera to trip when they show how fast the cudde takes a pic.I've had one for a couple months now and havent had a problem with it. I believe its 1.3 megapixels but it takes great pictures.Runs off a 6v that lasts about a month.A 128mb memory card will hold 1400+ pics.I gave $80 for it off ebay factory reconditioned w/warranty.I could buy 4 of these for the price of one cudde. Just a thought for ya.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's a homebrew digital camera? Something I rig up myself at much lower cost? Please give details
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM

I've had my Cuddeback for 3yrs without a single problem and well over 3,000 pics taken.... However, I have heard of some bad apples in the bunch.... Seems like it's a crap shoot with these electronic toys of ours....
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Homebrew - there are websites with the instruction and suppliers with the parts needed for you to build your own unit. Been doing it for around 5 years now. Much more cost effecient and they work great.... really great!

Quick Reply: May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.