Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 May give up on Digital Game Cameras >

May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Old 04-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: May give up on Digital Game Cameras

I figured it out ampahunter, what you listed in your post as the "Sony DS-041R removeable camera" is actually the model number of the Infrared unit (DS-04R) The actual camera used is a Sony DSC-P41. I believe the DS-04R stands for Digital Scout 2004 model (originally 3.2 upgraded to 4.1 in 2005 with same model #) and the R stands for Infrared.

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Cybersniper, I was speaking to the co-owner, Greg Neumann seems like a good guy. [email protected]
The retired 4.0 MP has a Sony DS-041R removable camera and the 2.0 MP has a Minolta X-20.
The Sony he's using has a 2-second trigger time and that's good enough for me.
Hisunits have built in night sensitiviy adjustment.This means that the unit will not trigger if the animal is further than 25 feet.This eliminates photos of deer and just seeing eyes.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cybersniper, I may have gotten my wires crossed somehow on the cameras in the units.
However the camera @ Cabela's is the 2.0 for $499--the 4.1 MP are all out of stock. You can get the 2.0 direct from Penn's Woods now for $299. ($200 less--quite a difference). That's the camera I'm looking at.
How do you like the Trail Ghost--MP for MP the 2.0 Penn's Woods is cheaper at the moment as the P41LE @ TrailGhost is $399 and the p41UNI 4.1 MP is $499.
So it's back to the Penn's Woods on Monday and I'll chat with Greg about the 6.0---but like I'd said, I'm reluctant to buy it for that intended price.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

just sent my moultree 200 back in. this is the 2nd one that did not work right. when put out and test by walking in front of it it works fine but when checked several days latter it reads check flash. two cameras same problem. i put a note with it saying if third camera has problems i will want refund.
Dan
Old 04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 words for you also. "Dont use them". Do your scouting like we have for the last several decades. Heck it is part of the hunt and part of the fun. Much more so than opening up a camera and printing out a pile of pics. Alot more of a reward also.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Ampahunter, I'm very happy with the the trail ghost. I use the P41LE unit, which is $399.00, I believe the P41UNI is $420.00. www.trailghost.com/2.html
They both use the same Sony 4.1 megapixel camera that Penn's Woods use in their high end cameras.

Teejay, I still do my scouting on foot, but trail cameras are a nice hobby. It's kind of like fishing, throw the bait out there and see what you can catch. My kids love going out to check the cameras to "see what we caught". I have caught several trespassers and know what time of day the Turkeys come into my clover. I don't have the time to sit outside from sun up to sundown everyday to keep notes on when the animals move.

You still need to scout the area and look for sighn, In fact I usually do this prior to setting up a camera to determine if the location is even worth it.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cybersniper,I didn't hook up today with Greg. So there's no new info.
Still deciding what to do, Penn's Woods 2.0MP has a Minolta and cost $299. The TrailGhost P41LE you've mentioned is a 4.1 MP and cost $399, this looks like a better deal. But the the higher MP only really helps when the picture is enlarged. I looked at the Minolta camera today and wasn't really impressed. It looks like a plastic toy. On the other hand, the Sony DSC-P41,4.1 Cyber Shot does look like a more durable camera. So I'm still undecided. Is the trigger time on the TrailGhost under 2-seconds?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have been getting slightly under 2 seconds at night and about 1.5 in the day. I belive the DSC-P41 is approx. a 1 sec camera and the board is approx. 1/2 second.

The only camera that I found that is faster is the 3.0 Cuddeback. This camera is around 1 second. The disadvantage to the Cuddeback is you cannot remove the camera and have to view the pictures on another device or on your computer.

With the Trailghost I can use the camera for vacation or parties. This keeps the wife happy . For the extra .5 to 1 sec it's worth it. You can also view the pics in the field and delete the ones you don't want.
The guy that makes the control boards for the Penn's Woods also makes the Trail Ghost boards.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having the choice to remove the camera does add to the versatility.
As well as having the chance to see the pictures in the field, compared to swaping memory sticks and not knowing what's on it, until you get home.
However now there's card readers that you can connect to your trail camera while in the field, but I'll have to wait until the price shrinks a bit--they're now selling for about $150. I may go with the TrailGhost now. I haven't heard from Greg in a while and I'm always concerned when making a decision, relative to the customer service.
I noticed on the TrailGhost web page they're now mentioning the release of a 6.0 MP also.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard about those readers, a little expensive for me. I sent an email to Penn's and all they would say is a new model is coming out in June. They wouldn't give any additional information. I'm sure it will be at least $700.00.

I usually look at the pictures my camera took and delete the ones that aren't of deer. I can't imagine having to take the camera or card to a computer every time I want to check the pictures. I'll gladly give up 1 second for the conveinence.

The Penn's and the Trail Ghost also have a sensor area that will trigger when the deer is in view. Both units work awesome and I never get "ass" shots.

I agree with your decision to go with the trailghost. You won't regret it. It's nice using the camera of fishing trips and parties.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

nice looks like ur a lucky man

Quick Reply: May give up on Digital Game Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.