Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats harder to hunt? >

whats harder to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
deer are harder to hunt
38.64%
turkey are harder to hunt
39.77%
there both equally as hard to hunt
21.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

whats harder to hunt?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats harder to hunt?

Turkey
Old 03-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Oh my Gawd!!! I can't believe this!!!!![&o] Unbelievable! Turkeys harder to hunt than deer????? Holy cow! No way in sam hell that is so! Turkeys have a brain the size of an acorn and I'm usually tagged out within the first couple hours of the opener. The time, patience, work, skill and dumb luck it's required for me to shoot some pretty nice bucks over the years is enormous compared to the 15 minuts of prep time I spend getting dressed to go turkey hunting. I'm speechless...kind of.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same here wolfen thatswhat I was thinking.I haven seen nothing hard about hunting turkeys at all.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe our Eastern breed of turkey is really stupid or something but heck, I go out west and kill rio's and it's the same story. Maybe it's just dumb turkeys in Kansas period.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 PM

I think it depends on where you live, how long the seasons are, what the numbers are and the amount of pressure. It is much more difficult to kill turkeys than deer where I live. Heck it's hard just finding them sometimes.

I don't think brain size really matters, there are some extremely smart birds. And cows have large brains but are about the most stupid animal I have delt with.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I think it depends on where you live, how long the seasons are, what the numbers are and the amount of pressure. It is much more difficult to kill turkeys than deer where I live. Heck it's hard just finding them sometimes.

I don't think brain size really matters, there are some extremely smart birds. And cows have large brains but are about the most stupid animal I have delt with.
Quite possible about the locations one hunts but I think that turkeys are just more spooky than deer. Deer can become curious when something is not quite right but turkeys split and that's that. I've pretty much nailed down the strutting areas for the turks in my area and year after year after year you can pretty much bank on them coming to these areas like clockwork.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Same here wolfen thatswhat I was thinking.I haven seen nothing hard about hunting turkeys at all.
I feel the same way. Maybe I'd feel differently if I only tried for birds over 25 lbs. with 12" beards and 1 1/4"+ spurs![:-]
Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Oh my Gawd!!! I can't believe this!!!!![&o] Unbelievable! Turkeys harder to hunt than deer????? Holy cow! No way in sam hell that is so! Turkeys have a brain the size of an acorn and I'm usually tagged out within the first couple hours of the opener. The time, patience, work, skill and dumb luck it's required for me to shoot some pretty nice bucks over the years is enormous compared to the 15 minuts of prep time I spend getting dressed to go turkey hunting. I'm speechless...kind of.

hey wolfen, i disagree compltlety, where i live turkeys are extremely extremly hard to kill!!!, there very lazy and barley come to calls unless im right on top of them, ive never gotten a bird in5 years, in fact ive only had them come to me once! my first year of deer hunting i got 2 bucks and a doe. Its all about where you live( or hunt i should say)
Old 03-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Guys, and gals,

I am surprised to hear that some of yall think that deer are harder to hunt that turkeys. I supose it is just the different styles of hunting within the different regions. Around here, deer are shot at 100 yrds+. Turks at 30 yrds or less. Makes a big difference. There is no such thing as a tree stands here on the west coast(where I am anyways), so deer are easy to hunt: spot at 100yrds+ and take 'em down with the rifle.

Like I said earlier: Deer with bow and turks= same difficulty, deer with rifle and turks with shotgun= turks way harder.