Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I underbowed? >

Am I underbowed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I underbowed?

Old 03-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Am I underbowed?

...if that's the right term

Anyway, I feel like I am but don't want to crank up the poundage just to find myself overbowed in the woods. I'm a superfly weight guy at 120lbs and shoot a 60# Hoyt. Shooting in my yardeven in the cold,I can do it for hours at a time without strain. I'm a righty but can draw my bow without a great dealof difficulty using my left. (just to give you a better idea of where I am with this bow)

I read somewhere that if you can sit cross-legged on the floor with your back straight up and point your bow straight forward then pull straight back slowly and smoothly, chances are you're not overdrawn. I can do this with ease. In fact, I feel like I can probably add another 10#'s and still be fine. However, when you're all bundled up and been sitting in the freezing cold for hours, it's a different story.

I don't want to sell myself short and not pull the optimal poundage. At the same time I haven't been hunting long enough to know where to draw the line and stop cranking the allens on the limbs. I know it's a difficult question to answer but how do you guys gauge what's too little or too much weight? Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Am I underbowed?

60 lbs. and less have killed a lot of animals including elk and moose. Shoot what is comfortable for YOU and keep it accurate. Shot placement is what kills the best.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM

i can only pull 45 lbs right now :{ is that enough to shoot 40 yards?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Not at all. 60# in a modern compound is more than enough bow for anything on this continent. If anything you are overbowed for whitetail.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah 60# is plenty. Thats what I'm shooting now but the last couple years I was shooting 55 and that is plenty. As said above, shot placement in most important. I know some young kids that have killed deer pulling 38#. I wouldn't recommend that but 60 is plenty.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:48 PM

45#is plenty
Old 03-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree 60 is just fine even if it is easy for ya. im shootin 62# and i can shoot for a long time also. but man your 120 pounds and shootin 60#?? thats quite alot!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Underbowed?? Not hardly! I doubt you'll find many guys that shoot - or even draw -bows with draw weights equal to half their body weight. [:-]
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you could comfortably shoot a few more pounds if you wanted to. Not necessary, but you could. The reason you may want to would be to beef up your K.E. and maybe shoot a heavier arrow or heavier head. Lots of reasons to change, but they're basically preference. The only true test would be to sit for an hour in fridgid weather and then have to make a nice smooth draw.[8D]
Old 03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 60# bow is fine. You weigh 120 pounds? That's fine... I almost got 100 pounds on you. I am 210 but I am 6' tall too. My brand new bow is a Reflex Highlander and I got it tweaked to 67# and 29" draw. The bow shop noticed me straining a bit with 70# but could easily pull 60#, so the guy tweaked it more and more until we both found a good spot to leave the bow set at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.