Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ugliest Cresting Machine ever! >

Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

one question what is cresting?

Old 03-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

huntingbuddy, look at Trembow's first pic of his actual arrows in it; those are some great examples of what cresting is... "Capping" is the act of making your arrow (usually) white from, say, about ten inches back to the nock. It makes the arrow more visible in flight to ease in spotting where you hit, as well as aids in the recovery of the arrow after the shot. "Cresting" is just personalizing the arrow with an array of bands of different colors.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Trembow, great job! You guys are turning out some really nice looking crestings.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Trembow / Greg/MO,
I've got a question for you; when the shaft of your sewing motor rotates, are your pinstripes thicker on one side of the arrow as the other side or do you get a true circular motion? After I slid the bohning chuck over the sewing machine shaft and inserted an arrow to crest. The arrow more or less rolls over instead of having a true spinning motion. I've noticed this on a couple sets of arrows I've done and I have no idea of how to fix the problem. Would getting a new chuck or some surgical tubing work better??

Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

What are the Huggies for?[8D]
Old 03-08-2006, 07:09 PM

lol my cresting machine is an 18V ryobi Drill with sticky backed velcro attached to the chucks set on a low speed. eventually i will invest some money and buy a sewing machine motor but for now this works.

Dustin
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: chetreed

Trembow / Greg/MO,
I've got a question for you; when the shaft of your sewing motor rotates, are your pinstripes thicker on one side of the arrow as the other side or do you get a true circular motion? After I slid the bohning chuck over the sewing machine shaft and inserted an arrow to crest. The arrow more or less rolls over instead of having a true spinning motion. I've noticed this on a couple sets of arrows I've done and I have no idea of how to fix the problem. Would getting a new chuck or some surgical tubing work better??
I have been having the same problem and I also believe it is the bohning chuck. I need to pick up some surgical tubing and see how that goes.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chetreed, if that's a Bohning chuck you've got pictured there, mine's completely different than yours. Let me see if I can go back and find the link to my original thread...

And I don't have any of those problems you guys are having about rotating improperly... maybe that's it.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM

here are my first attempts, not too shabby with horrible paint brushes.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/Dab029/561f6e68.jpg
Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Chetreed, if that's a Bohning chuck you've got pictured there, mine's completely different than yours. Let me see if I can go back and find the link to my original thread...

And I don't have any of those problems you guys are having about rotating improperly... maybe that's it.
If I am not mistaking, you had a metal looking chuck. I tried to get that one but all Bohning had was their new style. I asked how long was new and they said it has been that way for about 7 years.

Quick Reply: Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.