Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good form?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: good form?

I've seen the Winn release but not familiar with it. I would guess it should be fine. The loop material at Academy works just fine. Not sure what happened there. You don't have a burr or something on the inside jaw of the release, do you? If your going to the pro shop just let them put one on for you.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not familiar with that release, but as long as it doesn't have a sharp burr on it, I can't see why you would cut through.

Second picture looks MUCH better, couple things now:

- does look like the bow is short, look at the nock alignment on your face, when all else is squared (body, arms etc), the nock should line up under your eye, not the corner of your mouth.

- Peep does look a tad low, youdon't want to have to lower your head to see through it and it looks like you are lookign over it. To move it you will probably have to cut the serving that has it tied in place.

- Next your release hand, looks like the trigger is to close to your palm. The index finger is bunched up which adds tension to the hand. You want to basically let go of the release, let the strap hold it, then pull your hand backwards or slowly pull your finger into the trigger, do NOT grab that release.

make sure when you get the peep adjusted that your hold your head/neck up straight, move the peep to line up with your eye, not the other way around. The string will PROBABLY come to the tip of your nose, this is hard on short a-a bows and long draw lengths, but its a general draw check.

Longer draw will also allow you to get your drawing elbow down, right now its pointing up in the air, this puts an upward pull on the release. You want the elbow to align with the release hand, then when you pull through the shot you are pulling straight back not up or down.

It looks much better!

It's very hard to give advice without watching you shoot, the above are all just general comments based on text book form. Someone said above, basically if you hit the same spot everytime, you're all set.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks like you need to stand up straight, relax those fingers on the bow hand, and find a solid anchor point. I generally nestle my knuckle right under my ear...this may work for you and it may not, but I guess it's worth a shot.