Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 child is left eye dominant?? >

child is left eye dominant??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

child is left eye dominant??

Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default child is left eye dominant??

I have a 9 year old girl who is very interested in hunting, so I went out and picked up a new Genesis bow that's right handed. I am left eye dominant/right handedbut can use either eye while shooting guns or bows without too much problem. When shooting a bow I just close my left eye and look thru the peep. My girl is VERY left eye dominant, so much that she can't close her left eye and keep her right eye open. It's either left eye open or both eye's open.
Right now I have her shooting right handed insticvtive, and she seems to have alot of problems.Sheis having trouble keeping her groups under3 feet at 10 yards,This is after shootng off and on for a year. I thought about putting a sight and peep on her bow but with her vision the way it isit may cause her more problems.

My only other thought was to get her a new bow that was lefthanded and start over. What would you do?? Thanks , Jim
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: child is left eye dominant??

Same thing happened with my son. I went back to the shop he got my son a left handed bow swapped over what he could and didn't charge us a dime.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My only other thought was to get her a new bow that was lefthanded and start over. What would you do??
You gave my answer toyour question before you even asked it.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to switch her to left handed I think that it's better to do it now than to wait until she adjusts and then try. Sounds like to me you already know the answer.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Site Buck Guru

Or try having her shoot with both eyes open and use a peep sight. I can't do it but I think that it is the best way to shoot, especially for hunting. I know some very good archers that shoot with both eyes open.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:36 PM

not sure if it would work, but could you put a patch over her left eye? then her left eye could be open and her right eye could do the work? not sure, just maybe a cheap fix but it could work.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

I also am the same way. I have always shot a gun left handed but can shoot it right handed as well. I use to shoot my bow right handed but decided 3 years ago to switch to left handed because I thought it would make me more accurate. It definately has help and I would recommend it fully.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:55 PM

If you want her to have the most fun doing it and be the best that she can be, go get her a left handed bow.

If the shop won't trade it out, I'm sure you could find another parent who would be interested in the bow or sell it on ebay.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

If I decide to get her a left handed bow I'll probably keep the right handed one because I have a 3 year old son also and my wife has been showing intrest and she is right eye dom and right handed.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM

Done deal then! Get that girl a lefty bow!

Quick Reply: child is left eye dominant??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.