Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pop up blind help >

Pop up blind help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pop up blind help

Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pop up blind help

This might be better suited in the gear review section, but oh well...

I need some help from you. I am going to be turkey hunting with the bow this year here at home. I didn't get drawn for a gun tag, so I have to go with bow. But I need a blind. Any suggestions on which one to get?? I may never really use this blind for anything else other than turkey hunting, so I don't want to spend a ton on it. But I would like it big enough for two guys, because I'd like to video my hunt. Obviously...the more room, the lighter it is, the quieter it is, the easier it is to setup and shoot through windows would be perfect...but I know at the price range I'm looking at, I will have to compromise on a few of those wants.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pop up blind help

I've got this one http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghousetsc.html and you can usually find them pretty cheap. The TSC is a little larger than the regular one. You can get 2 guys in it and its big enough to bow hunt from. I took my son out last year and bagged my first gobbler with a bow and should have had a couple more. It comes with a backpack and is pretty easy to tote and set up. Don't read the instructions and you'll be able to take it down pretty fast after a few tries.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually this is the right forum. The "Review" forum is to review products you have experience with. Right now it is not being used properly...thusly the moved threads but I digress....

I have little experience with blinds. This past fall was the first I've used one with success mind you but I bet I was only in one oh, 6 times..I have the Amerstep Dog House reversable or something like that...it's plenty big for 2 people and to shoot a bow from. I successfully took my fall archery buck and my friend and I bow shot "at" turkeys from the blind. The only downfall this blind has over say the Double Bull line is that it lets in too much light and I believe turkeys can spot movement inside it because I did spook birds but I had windows open on all 4 sides...thus the easy slide of the no noise slide windows of the Double Bull...it's pricey but I bet worth it over some others....if you want a blind for life, go with the Double Bull, others will do the job but like you said, you give up alot with the cheaper models like my own.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:15 PM

To be totally honest, if you're just hunting turkeys, and don't plan on the blind being you're primary method of deer hunting, it just honest to goodness doesn't much matter. Them dern birds pay no attention to them at all. You don't need to run out and get a $400 blind to hunt turkeys, though they sure are nice and have their benefits. I have the Trophy Den from Hunter's View. It is a hub style blind and has plenty of room for drawing your bow. I sit on a camp chair, have a 30" draw and have no problems. We shot several turkeys out of these blinds, both with gun and bow. Bout $80 a piece. Not bad. But there are several out there that would work. Personally, I don't like the doghouse but only because I don't have enough room. I have to poke the arrow out the window to get drawn.....turkeys are stupid, but you just aren't gonna get away with that. The Brickhouse would be good......OH......I just happened to think....Cabelas started making one, the Full Draw. It resembles a Double Bull T2, but at $100 it is much more affordable.
Do some checking around. Ebay, BassPro, Cableas, Eders and the like. Shoot, do a google search and you'll be amazed at what you come up with. There are hundreds out there that will work and not break the bank.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Eastman Outfitters Carbon Express, plenty of room and pops up easily, IMHO! [8D]
Old 02-18-2006, 06:19 AM

You might also want to check out Ameristep's new Signature line of blinds. They just came out and they offer (almost) a 360 degree line of view and a silent magnetic window curtain so you can adjust the shoot through mesh area to your liking from the inside. I haven't been in one but they have photos on their web site. Cabelas is selling them both for a little over $200 if I am not mistaken. I think its their attempt to incorporate some of the aspects of the double bull. Don't get me wrong, the Double Bull is the way to go if you have the money. But my doghouse worked just fine for deer hunting this year. Thinking about buying a bigger hub style blind though as I have been in them and they are more comfortable. Ameristep has those too. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:33 AM

Big Game makes a nice blind and they didn't seem all that pricey! how do like that xtec!! good luck!!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

So many on the forums, as well as myself, have tried many different "cheaper" blinds. You'll then end up having to order a good blind eventually, buy a Double Bullblind in the first place so you'll be assured a quality product that will stand up to MANY years of hard hunting abuse and any weather condition. Do it right the first time. Inow have a DB T5 and aDB Matrix and they are awesome products that don't even begin to compare to the cheap flimsy blinds that some folks swear by. The only reason some folks are happy with these other blinds is simply because they haven't had the chance to use a Double Bull. You get what you pay for. Best of luck to ya this year. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 02-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

IL-Cornfed, I'm sure you are right and the DB's are the cadillac of blinds. Not had to tell just by looking at them. However, I couldn't afford a DB when I purchased my Doghouse. But I can also tell you the Doghouse does the job quite nicely. It conceals me, it has a floor, its easy to tote, easy to set up/take down, has multiple windows,...... Pretty much does everything I bought it to do. Will it last as long as a DB? Probably not but I don't know for sure. I do know I can buy 3 of them before I can buy 1 DB. I don't know if I 'swear' by my 'cheap' blind but I do know that turkey wouldn't be any more dead if I had shot him out of a DB. I may buy a DB someday but right now I can buy a cheaper blind that does what I'm looking for just fine and use the extra $200 bucks to buy something else. JMHO
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the ground max DX that I purchased from Basspro. Its large enough for 2 hunters, you can easily draw a bow inside it and it has windows all around. Very good value for the money. What I liked about it is the fabric has no "shine" to it like many cheaper ones do. I shot my biggest buck this past november from it and he never even looked up at it. I plan on hunting turkey out of it this spring.

Quick Reply: Pop up blind help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.