Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pop up blind help >

Pop up blind help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pop up blind help

Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pop up blind help

This is also an issue for me... I am heavily considering shelling out the extra buck for the double bull. Having said that I have hunted with the cheapest of cheap ameristep small pop up blind the last two years and have had no problem bagging 2 huge gobblers and 2 decent jakes out of them. They could care less about the blind!

Things I hate about my cheap blind though...
1) if feels cheap, I can't detail this much more, but it does.
2) it is loud as a 747 when the wind blows and not very stable.
3) It is as shiny as a highly polished red corvette.
4) it leaks like a sieve in the rain.

I haven't hunted deer with it and would probably never waste my time. But for Turkey it has done it job. Now that I am thinking about hunting deer this year from a ground blind I will probably invest in a double bull matrix blind. But then again, I have more money then I have had in the past to "throw" around.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:08 PM

This question has been posted before, but I have never read an answer to it. Do most of you who have double bulls leave it out all season? I pretty much leave my blind in the same spot pretty much all season (and a month before) so the deer get used to it.

I'd be worried about spending $400+ and having the fabric be wrecked after a couple of seasons. I guess for well under $100, I'm not concerned about my doghouse. The material - although somewhat "shiny" only in blinding sunlight - seems pretty weather resistant and showed no signs of wear when I packed it away for the year.

A sidenote on the material, I also doused it pretty good every know and then with muddy water and surrounded it with all sorts of thick brush. Most of the many deer that walked by at 10-15 yards didn't pay it a second thought.

Also, the metal hoops have retained their spring. And when I use all the included tie downs, the blind barely moves and is absolutely silent in heavy winds. I say this because these are two common complaints I hear about the doghouse, right before the person gives their glowing testimonial for the double bull.

Given this. I might even buy a few more doghouses to place in "permanent" locations during the season. I know, I know. I'm an idiot for not going with the double bull.

But I think its all a matter of personal preference. You can go from point a to point b in a ford or a mercedes. The ride's a little nicer in the mercedes but they both get the job done. I would not hesitate to hunt deer from a dreaded pop-up blind.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

chucker, I'm pretty much with you. I knew the DB was obviously a good blind and better than the Doghouse TSC that I got but I really can't complain about the Doghouse. It has done exactly what I wanted it for. I never even stake it down and its fine. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the velcro shoot thru mesh. Its too loud for me but once I figured that out I just get it all set and don't have to mess with them or I don't use them. No big deal.

newguy23, what kind of ameristep do you have?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I tend to agree with the 2 posts over mine. I'm sure the double bull is great but I have 4 pop ups & all do the job & stay out all season (4&1/2months here) with no bad repercusions. 2 doghouses, a hunters view lodge & the newest a Yukon tracks commander. I took deer from every one this fall & 2 turkeys from one. The birds are real easy from a blind if they come by. Deer can be spookier but once the blinds there awhile they pay it no mind. I paid way under $400 for 4 blinds that keep me dry all season & cant see that being a dumb move. I'v got one hub style as well but havent used it yet.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a Yukon Tracks Dominator from sportsmans guide. It was under $100. I left it out all season through all kinds of weather and it is holding up well. I'm 6'2" and weigh 200lbs and I have plenty of room to draw my bow. It will fit 2 people comfortably and has much larger shoot through screens than some other models out there. I will be in it in April for gobblers and I would certainly buy another if I wear this one out.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amerastep Doghouse. We have 2 of them hunt deer, turks, yotes and even geese once. They are cheap (at $75) fairly durable and extreamely simple. 2 thumbs up from this guy!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

Just dont get an outhouse unless your a 20" or so draw. I got one of those first & they are too tight for a bow.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

I tend to agree with the 2 posts over mine. I'm sure the double bull is great but I have 4 pop ups & all do the job & stay out all season (4&1/2months here) with no bad repercusions. 2 doghouses, a hunters view lodge & the newest a Yukon tracks commander. I took deer from every one this fall & 2 turkeys from one. The birds are real easy from a blind if they come by. Deer can be spookier but once the blinds there awhile they pay it no mind. I paid way under $400 for 4 blinds that keep me dry all season & cant see that being a dumb move. I'v got one hub style as well but havent used it yet.
Have to agree, I did look at the DB when I was considering a new blind when I had trouble with the zipper on my Ameristrip....... I received a Eastman Outfitters as a gift from the Mrs. to replace it....... it was cheaper and it does the trick and I can draw the bow, and be comfortable inside with two people. If it lasts 4 or 5 more seasons then it was worth it........ love to have a double bull, but an old soldier traveling the world, hard to spend the money with something more reasonably price is available, and it works!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

newguy23, what kind of ameristep do you have?
I can't exactly remember the name, but it is an older one (3-4 years). It is the one that "pops-up" doesn't have the hubs. I just really don't like the thing... I am going to replace it this year. I think I will go to Dick's today to see what they have. I don't really want to buy a DB if I don't have to, but in my experience I will be disappointed if I don't get the "better" product.

For instance I finally got a high quality AR this year (a RRA Varminter) to replace my old H+R single shot .223. All I can say is they are obviously not comparable. With the RRA I shoot a ragged one hole at 100 yards, with the H+R I was lucky to get under 1". Will both kill a Coyote, yes... But do I have warm fuzzy's now that I have the RRA, yes!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all of the info guys! I'm just going to have to get out and look at them and just see what happens. Sure would be eaiser if I knew someone that worked at Double Bull. LOL

Pat

Quick Reply: Pop up blind help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.