Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!! >

If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!!

Old 10-21-2002, 12:59 PM

Default If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!!

I am SOOOO frustrated. I have been in the woods about 12-15 times since the season opened in mid sept. and I haven't seen ANYTHING.

I have found brand new scrapes, fresh deer scat, deer footprints, deer belly hairs on a barbwire fence, freshly turned leaves, etc. etc. etc.

I was out in the woods from 11:00 to dark this Saturday and I didn't see anything at all.

I love scouting and the rush when I think a deer might be coming in but it is getting a bit old to go out so many times and seeing nothing.

Now don't get me wrong I don't want them to line up at 10 yards broadside but I'm not even seeing deer out of range.

Being a new deer hunter I'd like to have the chance to see a few and get a feel for controlling "buck fever"

Man am I discouraged.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:49 PM

Default RE: If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!!

It happens but, you have to stay with it. Most of the time by now I have taken at least one if not two bucks. But I have been on 6 good hunts and I have not seen a deer from the stand yet this year. So what do I do, Well I "keep on keeping on" and don't get lazy about stuff like the wind, my scent, and stand placement and ect.
The Rut will be here before you know it and things will start to change so be ready and keep on Hunting. The moon is not real good right now for ealry morning, but it well change soon also.

good luck and Keep our head up.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:59 PM

You need to find a new place to hunt. Closer to food at night and closer to bedding in the am. Make sure you're scent free and the wind is right for your spot. If the deer are there you'll see them.

Pick up one of those Hunter Specialties so you want to be a bowhunter videos. I have one and watch it every year before the season just as a refresher.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2002, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the knid word guys. I have been using a scent lock suit and have been using that spray stuff.

I have also moved my stand 3 times and even picked up a climber so I can be more mobile.

I know the spot I'm in right now *should* be good, I had an experienced friend help me find it. He found an incredible rub that he thinks is at least a 10 pointer judging by the size so I took that as a good sign.

I think I'll move my stand a little next time out but I feel like an idiot everytime my wife asks "did you see anything?"

I can't help but feel like a poor hunter when I have to reply, "nothing" everytime.

Old 10-21-2002, 07:27 PM

I am having similar results, but I keep going out. I figure just by sh*t luck I'll run into a deer one of these days. Before the season started I thought I had picked the best stand locations on the planet, but..... Keep on, keeping on and it will work out.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:02 AM

Patience, Patience, Patience!
IF oyu are seeing fresh overturned leaves, that tells me you are spooking them going in. How far from your stand is the car being parked?
If less than 1/2 mile I suggest you work from the minute you arive to the parking spot at making NO noise what so ever. Don't slam the door or trunk. Shut them as softly as possible. Still hunt your way to the stand taking a step or two and spending 3 to 4 minutes looking around with binoculers. Look as far as you can all around you looking not for the whole deer but a shadow or flicker that dosn't look right. Also after you have entered the woods from your parking place let the woods settle down before you start moving toward your stand. Listen to the birds and squirrels and other woods noise. Then as you are moving to your stand try not to disturb this normal sound.

Don't keep moving the stand for the time being. If the position was picked for you, you have to trust the placement untill you see deer moving 40 yards away consistantly.

Good Luck

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 10-22-2002, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

The last deer I saw was September 30, and I was able to bag it. Since then, I've been out about ten times and haven't seen any movement. I did see a nice 9 point this Sat morning driving in to the area I hunt. I friend of mine saw him Friday and was hunting him Saturday. I told him, that if he didn't get him, then I was going out Monday and I'd try my luck....Well i went out yesterday and didn't see a thing, when i got back to the check station I found out that he was shot 20 min after 12:00. The guy who shot him has only taken 3 deer w/ a bow. I'm happy for him but bummed for me..lol
Old 10-22-2002, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

I think all hunters go through a stage where they have plenty of sign, but no activity. Actually, it's probably going to happen to you more than once. Two years ago I went out 14 times before seeing anything. Moved the stand twice, and then one morning I saw three does and continued seeing deer on a consistent basis for the rest of the season. Things will definitely pick up during the rut. Trust your stand location, as well as your scouting abilities.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

head for the food source & look for travel routes.oaks are a good place to sit any time of day during this time of year.JMO.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:07 AM

I'll tell you what, I've never seen more deer than when I was completely dumb to hunting. I used to sit in the woods somewhere, only paying attention to wind and I'd see plenty. Then I started trying to decipher primary from 2nd rubs, bedding areas from staging areas, moon phase, bathtub ring counts, circling my tree 3 times, making sure the planets are alligned, performing the Harvest Dance in the nude, etc. and I didn't see a thing. I don't actually dance around naked, but you get my point. I keep it as simple as possible. It works for me and I think that's what's important. Find what works for you, and use it.

Now I'm not against using said products/advice. I'm positive that it gives us an advantage. But if it's "impossible to hunt without Product X" like some would lead you to believe, how did our forefathers ever take anything? Besides, where will it end? You start buying camo, then buy sprays, then carbon camo, then cough mufflers,laser rangefinders, GPS units and two-way radios, then before you know it, you're out in the woods with a self-installing tree stand, wearing a space helmet that recycles your breath and pumps it out smelling like acorns or something. I'm a purist, so I guess I shouldn't really complain when I spook a deer with my Egg McMuffing breath or the smell of my plain ol' Tide laundry detergent. But the main point is, I'm out in the woods, and I'm hunting. That's it. That's all I really NEED.

Quick Reply: If don't see a Deer soon I'm going to lose it!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.