Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?! >

Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?!

Old 02-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?!

my dad told me that the DNR might be limiting this years buck limit to one...anyone else hear of this happening...or would this be a good thing and boost the buck to doe ratio and have more deer around.....i am so confused...not as in 1 deer for bow, gun and muzzeloading...1 for the whole year!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?!

It ain't the end of the world, Pa has been like that forever. I couldn't imagine shooting more than one buck a year.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it would be interesting to see the results of a one-buck season. The one benefit right off the bat that I can think of would be that guys would wait it out a little bit to make that one buck worth it, thus helping those little bucks make it one more year. I would have no more problem with the one buck rule, and in turn they could increase the doe harvest substantially. If anyone has more info, please keep this thread updated.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it will happen. I was watching an interview on Michigan Out Doors with a DNR officer and they asked him this exact question. He said that currently only 5% of the second buck tags are filled so it really wouldn't have much impact. Especially since the second buck requires 4 or more points on one side currently. I don't think they would change things.....
Old 02-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

How the HELL do they know how many second tags are filled. I get so pissed off at these conjectures and prognostications that the DNR makes on the harvest numbers when they actually have NO IDEA how many deer are killed. Any jag off can throw numbers out there. I don't care if you guys agree or disagree with me on this, but Michigan is never going to have the type of deer that the big name deer states have without some sort of registration, be it phone in, mandatory check stations, or whatever they can think of, but implimenting new rules will have no effect there is some sort of check system.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with YooperMike on this one!

I've never understood how any state can even lay claim to "managing their deer herd" without some type of deer registration system.[&:]
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

I have to agree with YooperMike on this one!

I've never understood how any state can even lay claim to "managing their deer herd" without some type of deer registration system.[&:]
You mean that you DON'T have to check your deer in now?
So what's the purpose of having tags at all then?

Okay, who has the rest of the story?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

PA has no check system or way of knowing anything either. There are cards you are supposed to mail in, but they don't know or crack down if you don't. Everything is a guess.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trembow...you are completely correct, tags are of no use either if there is no way to check on it, except if by some stroke of bad luck you run across a DNR officer on the way to or from camp.

Rybo....we don't even have cards. The DNR sends out a random survey, but in my 12 years of hunting, my brothers 13 years, my dad's 44 years, and my grandpa's 60+ years of hunting, none of us have ever gotten one, and there have been a lot of deer killed by our family.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that has an opinion on the Michigan management (or perhaps better termed mis-management) issue. Any guys is other states have a take on this?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I don't see that as a bad thing...just think what that would do for you buck population not to mention ages...

Quick Reply: Michigan Thinkin bout goin to only 1 buck a season!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.