Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Shoot low like you were taught cause the dip from the sound
12.20%
shot dead on
87.80%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Angle

Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Angle

ok just wondering what you think when shooting a deer from a deer stand (elevated)
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Angle

Like someone else here said " aim for the exit hole".
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 AM

Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I gotta aim 5-6" lower when I'm in the stand, 20'up at a15-20yd. target.
learned this the hard waylast season when I missed a nice buck. The acute anglemakes shootingdifferent than flat ground for sure.Come this Sept. I'll be practicing from stand.BTW, the deer Imissed didn't duck the string either andhe was real close, 15 yd. max. I just shot high.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NY Harvester

learned this the hard waylast season when I missed a nice buck. The acute anglemakes shootingdifferent than flat ground for sure.Come this Sept. I'll be practicing from stand. 15 yd. max. I just shot high.
Only if your dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist. If you bend at the waist you should be aiming dead on, not low for compensation...after years of shooting competitive 3d, it doesn't matter if you are shooting out of an elevated stand or extremely uphill, if you bend at the waist, you pick a spot, aim for it and nail it.....I certainly wouldn't aim high or low depending.

Good idea to practice.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: NY Harvester

learned this the hard waylast season when I missed a nice buck. The acute anglemakes shootingdifferent than flat ground for sure.Come this Sept. I'll be practicing from stand. 15 yd. max. I just shot high.
Only if your dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist. If you bend at the waist you should be aiming dead on, not low for compensation...after years of shooting competitive 3d, it doesn't matter if you are shooting out of an elevated stand or extremely uphill, if you bend at the waist, you pick a spot, aim for it and nail it.....I certainly wouldn't aim high or low depending.

Good idea to practice.
Couldnt say it any better!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always aim dead on also.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree with Greg and Rob, especially with how flat todays bows shoot. There are other variables though that can affect shot placement such as how high the stand and how far the shot. I've taken my target out and shot it from stands and in some of the higher ones it seemed like I had to aim shorter than the actuall horizontal distance. Generally though, I aim as normal and for the hunting I do its a non-issue. Here are some links you can read if you like. Seems a little too complicated and not needed for me. Maybe if I was hunting in the mountains or something.
http://www.rayhowell.com/adventures/hunting%20tips/bowhunting%20tips_03.html
http://www.gandermountain.com/hunting/article.asp_Q_id_E_40
http://www.hunting101.com/gunsandbows/bows/bowhunting%20equipment%20and%20skills007.htm
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86491
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM

I do not think oneshot7 is talking about the effect of a shot whilein a stand. I think what he meant was would you aim low, compensating for the deer's ducking movement due to the shot noise, or aim where you want to hitsince thedeer (only BowTech shooters should choose choice two).
Old 02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

u got it zak that is what i meant

Quick Reply: Angle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.