Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring gobbler

Old 02-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Spring gobbler

How many of you guys bowhunt spring gobbler from a treestand? I have never bowhunted turkeys in the spring and was considering it this year. I don't have a blind and was curious if anyone has had success in a tree. I have learned from experience that you are not confined to one spot in the spring. Would a treestand be a good method to use if you have decoys setup and good calling techniques. I can call them in as long as they spot the decoys. What do yall think?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spring gobbler

Why pack a treestand around when you can just lean up aganist a tree and be still? You don't need any ground blind or treestand to hunt turkey. Are you a city boy?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Hell no , I'm no city boy[:'(]. I was talking about bowhunting. Of course you can sit still w/ a gun but a bow requires a little more movement. I will prolly just end of using the ole 12 or .223 anyways but I was curious.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot 2 turkeys out of my tree stand this fall with a bow. You just have to wait for the perfect time to draw.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 PM

Wont the turkeys think you are a turkey maybe still roosted or something like that.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 PM

I wouldn't think so. Yes, you could overcall and give away your location. The trick is to get him hot and wait until he is in the area and let the decoys do the work. I wasn't asking about killing a turkey from a treestand. I was asking about killing a gobbler during spring season from a treestand w/ bow in hand. It is not a common practice where I'm from. I actual think it is rare for someone to use a bow during the spring. Just wondering if anyone uses a treestand instead of a blind for spring.

Heres the old girl that had me worried this past couple months. I just think it would be different in the spring w/ the leaves coming in and all. [8D]

Old 02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I prefer a ground blind in spring. However, if i hunt turkeys on the cantonment area of post got to be in a tree. So i got me an advanish umbrella camo to block movement from the tree!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:30 AM

I was giving treestands the same thought. My property (well it's not actually mine) is pretty thick. I can see alot farther if I am above the brush. On the ground, it's tough to see even 20 yards in most reas.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

They will pick you out much quicker in a tree than from the ground. I've tried it and the only shot I've ever gotten from the tree is when some other hunters had a gobbler coming up a ravine and drew the bird past me.
While bowhunting in the fall once and a while a young bird made get seperated from the flock and wander past.

Dan
Old 02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

worth a try

Quick Reply: Spring gobbler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.