Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise >

New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Default New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

I have just started aquiring equipment for bow hunting and am looking for advise. I have ordered a Mathews Switchback LD after testing a few bows but now I need to decide on what type of rest, sight and release. I have no idea on what to look for with these items. Any bits of advise would be greatly appreciated. The bow shop will put these on for me and the rig will be used primarly for backpack type hunting.

Thanks,

Haakon
Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

almost any sight is good anymore (mine was a tru glo from wal-mart) wisker biscut rest, caliper release
Old 02-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well as far as sights go, get something that is well made and has good pin protection(especially if you are back pack hunting). There are alot of great products out there. I hunt with a Trophy Taker drop away rest on all my bows and love it. Alot of guys love the Trphy Ridge Dropzone, and the QAD gets alot of good reviews. Point being set it up once with quality products and you should be fine.

Shane
Old 02-11-2006, 09:45 AM

For backpack hunting I would recommend the Copper John Dead Nuts sight. I would buy the CUP guard in order to protect the pins.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Holy moly man.......the choices are unlimited. Do you want a drop away rest, full capture rest, prong rest, flipper rest?Sights? Do you want multiple pin, single pin, pendulum?
If you're backpacking a lot, your going to need something tuff. If you force me to pin something down......

Since you'll be doing a lot of still hunting, go with the whisker biscuit. The arrow won't fall off of the rest. Sights, get something sturdy. Copper John, Montana Black Gold, Trophy Ridge, just to name a few. Release? Well, are you shooting a string loop, or off the string. With a loop I would say a TruBall Short N Sweet, off the string, TruBall Tornado.
Don't forget a good stabilizer and quiver as well.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would go woth cobra or trophy ridge sights for the bow any kind they make is good. Go with the whisker biscuit cause its like what mobow said. THe relase cant go wrong with a truball
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Does a release make difference on acuracy?? Becouse I have a truefire and I am looking to get a New one..
Old 02-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i thasnt with me but it could just be uncomfortable to you and you might neeed to get a release that fits you a lil bit better
Old 02-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bradkoz. My sight is a Cobra but almost any quality sight will be fine. I love the whisker bisquit. For bowhunting, it is absolutely silent and it holds the arrow in place without worries as you sit on stand for hours. I use a truefire rrest that I got from Walmart on a red tag special.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM

If i was setting up a bow to backpack with i would get things with the least moving parts . A whisker bisquit and a spot hog sight is what i would use.

Quick Reply: New Bow Hunter needs equipment advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.