Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hammerheads?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hammerheads?

I got some Rocket Aerohead Hammerheads 100 grain, 2" cut and
they are mechanicals. Has anyone used these for turkeys or deer?
What were yourresults? I am planning on using them just for turkeys.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Hammerheads?

i have those broadheads headsalso i havenever used them on game and iam also wondering how they would perform?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Fork Horn

rockets are great heads but i think anything over 1.5" is too big. they dont penetrate that well on deer. i would go down to the sidewinder it has a better tip anyway. the only thing ive have seen that makes them good heads is bad shots. my brother has shot about 4-6 deer in the stomach while using those. they all dies within 100yds. it just cuts such a big hole the guts just fall out. i shot one deer at 8yds with that head (tried it out 1st time) it came out the other side but didnt pass through completly. but the deer only ran about 30 yds. unless your not confident in being really accurate id go smaller. better penetration esp. on bone.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM

Have used them for turkeys with good success. prefer the old 4 blade hammers but cant find them anymore
for turkey I like the bigger the better.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Rocket Hammerhead is a great choice for both deer and turkey.
My buck dropped within sight after only going 45 yards tops. Entered behind the ribs on the right side as he was quartering away, and came out under the front left leg!! This head works great if you have the kenetic energy to rip it through the animal. In other words, make that 2" cut work for you!! I'd also rate it as a great choice for turkey!! Flys just like your field point.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good heads for deer, but you need a lot of KE to push them through deer size animals. For turkey I think they are about perfect, even for and average setup. They did reasonably well in my broadhead tests, but they are not the most durable head on the market, but for a one shot deal they get the job done.