Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ProTec or ProElite >

ProTec or ProElite

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ProTec or ProElite

Old 02-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ProTec or ProElite

Well gents I think I have convinced the wife that the tax return this year would best be spent on a new bow for me. She just got hers (RinTec XL) and now its my turn. I am going with a Hoyt, but I am trying to decide between the ProTec and ProElite. A major consideration for these two is that they come in extended draw lengths, since mine is 33". Can anyone give me some input on these two, good, bad, or indifferent. I also shot the Trykon XL, but I think it is going to be a little too short when its all said and done. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Default RE: ProTec or ProElite

yoop, is it for hunting or 3d?33", good gravy.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

For hunting I would reccomend a Protec with xt2000 limbs(if draw will go long enough,if not the 3000 limbs would be great).

For 3-d or targetsI would go with the Proelite with XT3000 limbs.

Choice on cams is strictly a personal preference since I don't think speed or ke is a concern with a 33" draw.[]
Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I've shot both, and for the money, it's really hard to beat that Protec, it's even a great spot bow for indoor stuff. It holds on the spot like a demon. A couple guys I know who shoot a lot of tournament stuff have camo protecs, and they use them indoor spots, 3d and hunting, and they wouldn't part with them for anything. I'm getting a used '05 blue fusion tonite for myself. I spent a lot of time shooting protecs and proelites, and I really can't tell that big of a difference. I dont' know what the price diference is, but I imagine if you picked up a protec, you'd probably save enough money to pick up a nice sight, and a set of strings..........those Hoyt factory strings aren't the best for target shooting...believe me.That would be the first thing I'd change on either of them.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to be using for hunting mostly, maybe a little 3-D shooting. I am leaning toward the protec because I think I will be able to outfit it better with the money that I would have spent getting the bare ProElite.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Mike. I shoot fingers style with a 33" draw and purchased a Protec in 03 with the LX Pro limbs and cam 1/2 system. This is an excellent choice for a fingers shooter with a long draw. Make sure you get the Cam and 1/2 system because the draw length has more adjustability then the Spiral cam. If you are going to shoot with a release, the Ultratec with the longer limb package will fit the bill comfortably.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Yea I forgot to mention to you to maybe take a look at the Ultratec also. It's a few FPS faster with a 7" brace height instead of 8" for the Protec. Both are good choices though....

Don't want to be repetitive, but good strings will be better in the elemants for a hunting bow. Rain, cold and warmweatherhadme re-sighting my Xtec every 3 or 4 days during hunting season before I wentto a good set of strings and cables.The factory strings were stretchingout of time everytime it got wet or really cold orwarm.Here in PA you can have all those elemants in 2 days.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoyt is putting some pretty darn good strings on the Protec(all high end bows) this year.Atleast give them a try before taking them off.[&:]I am a BIG proponent of high quality strings.I have some really nice strings on both my bows but from what I can tell,the new high end Hoyt strings are pretty good.

I also have a Protec I use for 3-d but I only have a 28 1/2" draw.I absolutely feel it is the best bow I have ever shot.I do still kinda wish I would havegone ahead and got the Proelite but their isn't a problem with the Protec.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Protec for hunting. It would be real fun trying to load the arrow and broadhead through a shoot through riser with gloves on when that big buck steps out.

The new fuse cables that I just took off my 06 proelite lasted only a month and a halfof every night shooting. The new bow now has a winners choice on it.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike ;
Look at the Protec / XT3000 limbs / Cam and a half I think it will fit you well.... And dont ask me if we have one in stock cause I didnt even look[8D]
Mike just come back and try shooting all of them we have in and see what you like best and fits you best...

Quick Reply: ProTec or ProElite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.