Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is rediculous!!!!!!!!! >

This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Default This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!

I have been sitting here all morning trying to figure out a spot on my hunting land to put my Cuddeback. Isn't is kind of rediculous that we have to try to find a spot where the deer are but a place where no one will see it for fear of it being stolen?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM

Default RE: This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!

It is DH, but that's also while I'm loth to spend the sort of cash they're asking for for a camera. I can't see spending $200 or (a lot) more for something I'm gonna leave in the woods for someone else to take.

I'm encouraged to see the 2.0 mp cameras (some models anyhow) coming down in price to the $99 to $150 range. Soon they'll be at the $50 price point where I'm more apt to jump in at.

If you have an area you really want to put a camera but are pretty sure there'll be people who may take it in the area, maybe get yourself a cheapo 35mm version. They're mostly being clearanced off right now and can be had for as little as $40 or so.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol Ithink about thatoften, but all my cameras are down now, no sense in risking it now, I dont need to know when and where they are. Now, come next July, I'll have my stuff back out there.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt on private land and have had 2 cameras stolen in the last 4 years.... my dream is to go check my cams and find a guy with his back to me trying to get it off the tree..... oh the things i would do to him.

heres some advice .... this will never deter theft, but it may help.

1. i always open up my cams and drill a hole in the back wall.....when i place the cam on the tree i take a cordless drill and run a nice thick screw into the tree,,,, then i close the cam and lock it, then i run my cable and lock it as well.... then, if they do happen to cut the cable, they still have to try and work the screw out of the tree...
2. i put a note in my cameras.... it states " if you stole this camera you obviously didnt see the one that was monitoring this one, return this camera to its tree and i wont press charges, keep it , and i will " now i dont know if this would ever even work since i only started doing it after i had my 2nd cam stolen, but what can it hurt??

good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: wvOHIOfan

i hunt on private land and have had 2 cameras stolen in the last 4 years.... my dream is to go check my cams and find a guy with his back to me trying to get it off the tree..... oh the things i would do to him.

heres some advice .... this will never deter theft, but it may help.

1. i always open up my cams and drill a hole in the back wall.....when i place the cam on the tree i take a cordless drill and run a nice thick screw into the tree,,,, then i close the cam and lock it, then i run my cable and lock it as well.... then, if they do happen to cut the cable, they still have to try and work the screw out of the tree...
2. i put a note in my cameras.... it states " if you stole this camera you obviously didnt see the one that was monitoring this one, return this camera to its tree and i wont press charges, keep it , and i will " now i dont know if this would ever even work since i only started doing it after i had my 2nd cam stolen, but what can it hurt??

good luck
nice i like that idea.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

DH I'm with 100% on this. It's indeed sickening. Over the years I've accumulated 5-cameras. The cheapest being the 35mm Stealth right on up to the LeafRiver, a Vigil and another built by Nature Qwest.
Since I've had my stands stolem from 'my farm' September 05, I've taken in all my cameras and eveytime I look at them in the basement it really annoys me to think what our woods have come to these days. Flipping CRIMINALS!!!
On Saturday last I saw two nice Toms and decided I would like to get pictures of them and 'forced' myself to set up a camera back on a tree.
Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's still there when I get there on Saturday. Just a shame--it's been terrible last year--seems like the criminals are now in the woods more than ever. How I hate this--so bad!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, I find it appauling that we as hunters could ever steal from another but there are low lifes in all aspects of the world or organization....
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Did you ever think that it could be anti's? They have been recruiting college students in Jersey to steal stands and the students get paid "x" amount for each stand they take. They also supply them with gps units to plot the location of the stand during the day and go back at night and steal the stand. Someone who knows what they are doing can get up to 15 stands a night, thats alot of money for a college student.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had 1 camera stolen and a bunch of stands. When I catch the person in which I will. He will still be there when the DNR gets there to take him away.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 AM

It would be nice to walk up to the cam and find someone standing there trying to get it. Trust me he would wish he had never been born after i am through with him.[:-]

Quick Reply: This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.