Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your reason for taking up Bow hunting >

Your reason for taking up Bow hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
More time afield
25.32%
The challenge
24.05%
My family/friends were into it
6.33%
It just seemed like fun
5.06%
All the above
39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Your reason for taking up Bow hunting

Old 01-30-2006, 05:14 PM

Default RE: Your reason for taking up Bow hunting

BUGLING!!! In MT the elk rut can only be hunted with bow. You canfind the elk in the woods'cause they tell you where they are. That's the one and only reason I started. I have yet to get my racked bull, but it was much better not getting him with a bow than not getting him with a rifle (strange as that sounds). Saw a lot more action during bow season.

However, now that I'm involved, being a gearhead, I do love the technology in the bows.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I chose 'all the above' but had no family or friends into bowhunting at the time. Have since got some friends into it. Working on the kids.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Dominant Buck

It gets me an extra 2 months to deer hunt .
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

In the beginning (~1965),bowhunting was a chance to scoutdeer forthe upcoming VA gun season, so it wasn't more than a few trips walking aroundin the fall woods. In 1971, my brother got me more involved in the challenge, and we started to make our own arrows and hunt more seriously - to no success. In 1974,I decided to give up the shotgun until I shot a deer with a bow (1977); my middle name was "Roadkill" in those lean years . Never went back to the gun after that first kill. Many bow-killed deer (and an elk and moose) later, the challenge is still there, loving it, . I gave up checking outroadkill long ago...

-fsh
Old 01-31-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

definitely wanted more time in the woods, for scouting, etc.,and the opportunity to take an extra deer or 2. friends said it was the best hunting there is (see things you could never see in gun season, etc) - they were 100% right. having deer at eye level at 8 yards is hard to explain to those who haven't experienced it. I'm no bow hunting pro, expert, or great white hunter (only have gotten 1 deer in 8 years), but wouldn't stop bow hunting for anything.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 AM

If I didn't bow hunt I think I would go crazy. It's not onlythe hunting
that I love, that is actually a small part. It's the preperation, in the summer shooting the bow,constantly looking for new places to hunt, learning things every year and improving every year. I feel sorry for people who don't have a passion for something. Plus what else would I do, work on the house or spend time with the wife..?!?!?!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I voted the Challenge, I would have picked all of the above, BUT, my friends and family were not into it!
Then I started telling hunting stories about my days afield..now They are all into it!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM

After spending 2 years refining my .300 short magnum rifle and hand loading ammo for it, I grew bored shooting 5 inch groups at 600 yards. The challenge and learning curve was slowly fading. I got into archery to increase my challenge curve and increase my hunting season. Now I have a new goal to get my 60 yard shots as small as possible using a hunting arrow.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM

I have hunted white tails for 27 years. For the last 17 years I have strictly hunted with bow. Not only is there less pressure on the deer, but I have seen alot more deer. Just about anyone can go out and " shoot a deer" using a fire arm,but it's a real challenge to have the deer as close as 40 yards or less and do everything corrct to fill a tag. I haveharvested many deer, bucks and does alike. I introdused my oldest son to bow hunting and after his first bow kill, he said he would never use a gun again to harvest a deer. I felt the very same way after taking my first deer with my bow. To all that choose to take deer with a fire arm, more power to you, butif you are looking for a true challenge, try taking a deer or other big game with a bow, and you will not be disappointed in the rush you will feel. Aim straight, and may your arrow fly true.....
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much all of the above, but most importantly for me, to get close to the animals..bow-close..there is something about that close proximity, a bow at full draw and an unexpected wise ole critter in my sights. Nothin' like it...

Quick Reply: Your reason for taking up Bow hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.