Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anyone used tree climbing spikes? >

Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Old 01-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

How do these work? Are they easy to use? Are they safe? I'm thinking about trying these (with a safety harness of course) but I have some safety concerns. Any feedback would be appreciated....

Old 01-27-2006, 07:46 AM

Default RE: Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Looks a little scary to me...never tried em. Be careful
Old 01-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I work in the field as a telephone technician and climb poles for a living. I absolutely would not recommend these unless you have experience with them and do not intend to climb the same tree many times. I definately would not recommend them for hunting where you would stand on them for any length of time. Not only are they hard on your knees but your back as well AND, standing on gafts for a length of time makes your feet go numb even with the best climbing boots.

I think they'd be alright for triming and then hanging a stand with a ladder system or climbing sticks or steps but again they will tear up a tree.

I don't know what your intent is with these but be careful, keep your knees and midsection away from the tree/pole when you climb keep the gafts in the tree at the angle specified. Again, I recommend a climbing stand, ladder sticks or even screw in steps before I would ever recommend the use of gafts....I climb poles for a living and wouldn't use these myself.[&:]
Old 01-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I work in the field as a telephone technician and climb poles for a living. I absolutely would not recommend these unless you have experience with them and do not intend to climb the same tree many times. I definately would not recommend them for hunting where you would stand on them for any length of time. Not only are they hard on your knees but your back as well AND, standing on gafts for a length of time makes your feet go numb even with the best climbing boots.

I think they'd be alright for triming and then hanging a stand with a ladder system or climbing sticks or steps but again they will tear up a tree.

I don't know what your intent is with these but be careful, keep your knees and midsection away from the tree/pole when you climb keep the gafts in the tree at the angle specified. Again, I recommend a climbing stand, ladder sticks or even screw in steps before I would ever recommend the use of gafts....I climb poles for a living and wouldn't use these myself.[&:]
And that's from aguy with no fear.[:-]
Keep that in mind.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:34 AM

I am not speaking from experience here but it seems to me, you would need to take them off once you get in to your stand to hunt. Then you would need to put them back on to get back down. That seems like a major hassle.

Also, I would think it would be hard to come off your stand and on to tree for your descent. That would be pretty freakin scary if you ask me. Its one thing when you start from the ground and work your way up. But to get them to grip coming off the stand seems like it would be awkward.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree they don't look very safe. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried them....
Old 01-27-2006, 01:47 PM

I've tried them, don't buy them.

One other thing that Rob may not have even realized is that these "sport" climbers are most likely significantly shorter than the spikes he uses for work. Instead of strapping around your calf, they strap halfway between your calf and your ankle.

I didn't like climbing with the lineman's spikes I borrowed a few times. (what's the medical term for a fear of falling? not heights, but falling?)

I HAAAAATED these sport ones.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather spend the money and buy a climber than spend the money of doctor bills from a broken neck.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

You'll slip, go to the ground, spike yourself in the leg then try to make it to the hospital. That's what would happen to me.[:-]
Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe if all the bark was peeled away like a power pole. They would probably work good on a birch tree. If Rob makes a living climbing poles and says not a good idea, thats enough for me.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.