Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever notice this about does >

Ever notice this about does

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever notice this about does

Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Ever notice this about does

I bow hunt from a tree stand. Usually when does come in they are very wary and cautious of their surroundings. Younormally can't make too many moves or a sound without getting picked off. I also hunt about 15 to 20 feethigh.

The weird thing that I have noticed is that after I shoot a buck, the does will maybe run off about 5 yards and stop, look around and just stand there, seeming very calm.I have at one time shot a buck and not have the does run off until climing down my stand.Anyoneevery notice this....???
Old 01-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ever notice this about does

I've always said that mature does are more wary than young bucks, no doubt and when shooting with a bow, it's only a quick thud etc and the deer don't know what happened and it's in the curious nature of deer to investigate....there are times deer shot with arrows don't even react, go back to feeding and fall over....gotta love bowhunting.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I've always said that mature does are more wary than young bucks, no doubt ...
This has been my experience as well. This year I shot a young six point that was just incredibly stupid compared to the does the night before. Those does were 10 times more cautious and spooky than the buck.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are very nosey/curious animals. They aren't sure what happened after a shot, but they want to find out. I have had deer come in to my preditor call (ditress rabbit) to see whats up.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I have noticed about does that makes them vulnerable is their maternal instinct. It seems they have to pinpoint the danger. More often than not if they cut my track near one of my stands, like a bird dog they will follow it to the base of the tree (on full alert of course).A mature buck would simply slink away. This doesn't happen every time of course but it is not at all unusual around here.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I've always said that mature does are more wary than young bucks
That's true about boys and girls too.[8D][8D] Just check out the activity at a watering hole on a Saturday night.[&:]
Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: skidmark845

I bow hunt from a tree stand. Usually when does come in they are very wary and cautious of their surroundings. Younormally can't make too many moves or a sound without getting picked off. I also hunt about 15 to 20 feethigh.

The weird thing that I have noticed is that after I shoot a buck, the does will maybe run off about 5 yards and stop, look around and just stand there, seeming very calm.I have at one time shot a buck and not have the does run off until climing down my stand.Anyoneevery notice this....???
Theres your problem, they know that you are there. If they watch you get out of your stand of course they will be carefull coming into that area. Next time dont climb out until the deer are gone or it is dark. THis may helpa little, i hope. I climbed down once and a deer saw me from 60 yards away, i didn't know she was there. I had to move the stand, everytime i hunted it they would bust me.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had does look right at me and come in, straight towards me before. I usually have found as long as I don't look them in the eyes, or move real quick, they won't spook.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 AM

I think the reason why they dont run off when you shot your buck is they were probably wondering why the deer was running when they hadnt seen of heard anything.I shot a doe this year and the other just stood there for awhile so I think its more confusion than anything.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

From what I've seen, one of the differences between mature bucks and younger bucks and does, is that the younger bucks and does always seem like they have to verify two of their senses when they sense something out of place. They may spot something in a tree, they'll headbob, sniff and stamp their feet trying to get you to move. Where as a mature buck only needs one sense, and a small one at that, and he'll flee the scene. The big ones don't take any chances, that's how they get big.

Quick Reply: Ever notice this about does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.