" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many times do you hunt a single stand >

How many times do you hunt a single stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1-2 times
10.00%
3-4 times
18.00%
5-7 times
22.00%
8-10 times
20.00%
11 and up
30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How many times do you hunt a single stand

Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many times do you hunt a single stand

I have been reading in books that sayif you overhunt a single stand then you will contaminate your area with your scent and deer will likely stay away. So my question thenis how many times you hunt your average stand.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:27 PM

Default RE: How many times do you hunt a single stand

Get ready for a stir pot full of answers!!
I have had this dispute several times before.If it is during the rut I will try to hunt it when ever the wind will allow me If I am seeing a lot of doe activity!Because a buck will make a large circle passing thru several doe familly groups looking for a receptive doe.If he does not find one he will continue to make that circle!If you are in a high doe active place your chances are high of seeing him!!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My usual hunting area (that I bow hunt) I am only able to have 1 stand so I hunt it everyday. I see the exact same deer, 6 does a 2 button bucks everyday this year. They come down the trail 12 yards from my treestand. Everyday. Finally, the rut came and she came in heat and the big boy chased her down the trail 12 yards away!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:34 PM

I hunt a lot of public land and try to move around a lot. I took 11 deer this yearand heres the break down. 8 were harvested the first time in a stand, 2 the second time I hunted a stand and 1 the 3rd time I hunted a stand. I dont think I hunted any stands more than 5 times and most of them 2-3 times. I feel the most confident the first time I sit in a tree. On the other hand I know guys that hunt the same trees year after year and take deer. So I guess its just preference of what works for you.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have a bunch of them in several properties & will use a stand untill I get busted or I dont see deer. I dont think you would contaminate it with scent if your careful & have found that even if they do scent my trail so long as they dont find me it doesn't bug them much. I watched a doe look for me for 1/2 hour early season & it helped pass the time. She kept coming back the same way with her 2 fawns up untill the rut too.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Site Buck Guru

As many times as it takes, if the wind is right. If I get busted or start to see signs of stand burn out, I'll let it go for a few days or maybe a week before hunting it again.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Usually 3 - 4 times...when my buddies are in my other stands i put up and i do have execllent success when i go to the same stand every once and awhile.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

we'll I only have about 8 acres to hunt. There is a creek with timber on both sides and connected to about 18-20 acres. I have two stands on there and my father inlaw has one. He dosen't hunt all that much so I try and switch around some. But I have a favorite that I hunt mostly prerut and rut. Thats where I can see the edges of the timber better. Probably hunt that stand 3-4 times a week.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Its kinda like women - I just keep at it till I score!! JUST KIDDING!!

Really depends . If I hunt a stand CAREFULLY and only when the wind is right, it helps keep from burning it out. I might get 5-6 trips in or more in one season. If I go in once and scare the crap out of a bunch of deer, I'll avoid that spot for several days if I can. Usually I will hunt a stand when the conditions are right up until I think the deer might be on to me, then I switch. I think on average 4-5 times a year per stand. Remember, you can hunt the same area without hunting the same tree.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must admit, I am guilty of overworking my favorite stand this year. I hope I did'nt scare them off for good! I have several stands but one is my favorite, Old Trusty. I can't help it, the view, the wind, the amount of deer, are just too perfect! I took some does, a good thing. But I'm afraid I may have scared off the more intelligent bruisers. I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: How many times do you hunt a single stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.