Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
West Virginia bow hunting only counties? >

West Virginia bow hunting only counties?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia bow hunting only counties?

Old 10-18-2002, 02:34 PM

Default West Virginia bow hunting only counties?

Has anyone ever hunt in these counties. I read an article that predicted some of the best places for a chance at a P&Y deer and these counties were listed. With the steep terrain and low deer destinies along with no gun hunting these counties allow deer to mature. I think the pre-rut maybe tough but I bet the rut would be awesome. Any Help.

Edited by - SCbowhunter on 10/18/2002 16:09:29
Old 10-18-2002, 07:57 PM

Default RE: West Virginia bow hunting only counties?

ttt
Old 10-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live close but do not hunt them but I have friends that do and most of the good hunting is far off road and you need a4 wheeler to get to it. And you are right the terrain is steep and rough most of the people that hunt in these counties keep pretty quiet about it and all of them are after a book deer. You also are right in when to hunt some of the guys I know are hunting there now but most are waiting for the rut.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:18 PM

SC...steep is an understatement....big deer are there. If Hankfan reads this he will be able to give you a better assessment and has some great pics of some very, very nice bucks taken in those 4 counties.

Good Luck...
Old 10-18-2002, 09:46 PM

SCbowhunter- I live 30 minutes away from one of the four bow hunting only counties here in West Virginia. I hunt them exclusively from Nov 1-30. I hunt there every single day in the month of November but I will admit it's a tough place to hunt. There is an extremely low deer population in these areas. I have went a whole week and never saw one deer but then again during an 8 day stretch I saw 8 bucks 8 points or better and 4 would have made the books. If you aren't 100% commited to do what ever it takes to kill a P&Y buck and nothing less, you will be better off somewhere else. However if you like the challenge of hunting a mature buck 1 on 1 with little to no interference form other hunters this is the place for you. The area I hunt is coal company property which is about 10,000 acres or so and can be hunted by anyone. If you have any more questions just let me know. Below is a couple pictures of our most recent bow kills from the bow hunting only counties:

Old 10-19-2002, 12:10 PM

Royak- Where you located in WV?

HANKFAN
Old 10-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hankfan you have mail

Take a child hunting,for they are not only our future but also the future of hunting. Roy .
Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 PM

Thanks Royak!
Old 10-22-2002, 06:49 AM

HankFan you mail once again!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:27 AM

Thanks SCbowhunter!

HANKFAN

Quick Reply: West Virginia bow hunting only counties?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.