Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your longest shot on a deer? >

What's your longest shot on a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your longest shot on a deer?

Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's your longest shot on a deer?

Normally I don't like to take a shot beyond 30 yards, but I killed one this season at 42 yards. I felt confident in the shot so I took it. He ran only 60 yards.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 AM

Default RE: What's your longest shot on a deer?

If you've practiced, and are confident, go for it. Me, 30 yards is it.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

30. Conditions would have to be perfect for me to be comfortable going beyond that. I do read where some folks say they can shoot tight groups up to 60 yards with these new super-bows, but I don't know if they retain enough energy at that distance to put a deer down.
Craig
Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I do read where some folks say they can shoot tight groups up to 60 yards with these new super-bows, but I don't know if they retain enough energy at that distance to put a deer down.
Craig

Run the specs through a software program or shoot through a chrono at 60 yards. My bow is still producing over 60 ft pounds of kinetic energy at 60 yards and my bow isn't even considered to be one of the faster bows on the market.60 ft pds of KE ismore than some have "out of the gate".

I have beenpracticing at 60 and 70 yards...I can't tell you how flat my arrow flight still is at 60 yards. The group sizes are well within deer vital size. I think distance has allot to do with equipment, enviornmental conditions (wind for that day)and the amount you practice in the off season.

Sorry I won't answer the original question right here for all to see. This web sight wouldn't have enough pages to debate it all over again.[:-]
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM

i took a shot on a doe this year at 60 yards. i hither in the back right quarter.i will never do it again. i tracked it for 3 miles. i went out tohunt a couple days after christmas and that same exact doe prestented me with the same shot. i did not take it but, it breaks my heart to see that deer alive and to know it will have to suffer althrough the summer. do u think i should have taken the shot.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wrestler_hunter3

....do u think i should have taken the shot.
I think you know the answer to that already.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

42 yard double lunger......under 30 is the norm for me.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me the farthest shot I have taken was 40 yards, but I missed. I killed a deer at 27 yards this year and that was the next farthest shot.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 AM

I like to keep 'em under 30yds...My longest shot however was on a doe at 38yds. Took her cleanly w/ a double lung hit. The condition was just right and there wereturkeys scratching nearby making noise to hide the sound somewhat and she was relaxed feeding.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM

i am an avid 3D and Dot shooter i regularly take shots of 80 yards or more on target and do very well at it. but on a deer i tend to try and stay under 50 because there are a lot of variables we cant controle in the woods. a slight breez not hardly noticable at the bow could become several inches of arrow drift at 70 or 80 yards and other variables. inevitably it comes down to you. what can you do and be realistic. i know guys who drill the x at 50 or more yards in tourneys but cant kill a deer beyond 30. nervs play a big part in shooting at game. they know this and keep thier shots respectful of thier abilities and so should you .

Quick Reply: What's your longest shot on a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.