Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting article

Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Hunting article

Saw a post on this in the Deer Hunting forum.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/frank_deford/01/10/hunters/index.html

I found this article very irritating for several reasons. First, it lacks any substance. The writer passes it off as some sort of investigative piece on the decline of hunting but there are no real facts invovled. No statistics cited. Obviously this was meant to be an opinion/editorial - sort of. I say that because it jumps all over the place and really doesn't have any point or call for action.

Second, from the tone of the article, the writer more than likely doesn't hunt and didn't consult any hunters when writing this article. He made lots of assumptions about hunters like this one:

"Hunters, meanwhile, pretty much see deer as big rats, lyme-disease carrying vermin, who happen to taste good once they get properly shot and become venison."

Nothing irritates me more than someone who writes about something he has no knowledge of and/or didn't take the time to learn more about it.

Third and finally, it appears to me the writer enjoys knocking hunters and non-hunters. Like he thinks he is better than them or at least smarter. There's an old saying in the newspaper business that editorial writers ride in on their high horses after the battle has been fought to shoot the dead and wounded. This guy looks like he enjoys that task quite a bit.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Hunting article

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Saw a post on this in the Deer Hunting forum.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/frank_deford/01/10/hunters/index.html

Second, from the tone of the article, the writer more than likely doesn't hunt and didn't consult any hunters when writing this article. He made lots of assumptions about hunters like this one:

"Hunters, meanwhile, pretty much see deer as big rats, lyme-disease carrying vermin, who happen to taste good once they get properly shot and become venison."

quite a bit.
I wonder where he even came up with such an idea like this?
Man this guy is over the top ignorant!
Mark
Old 01-12-2006, 03:13 PM

The other factor he completely ignored - although the number of hunters is declining, the amount of money spent on the sport is higher than ever before.

And not just by wealthy guys paying $10,000 for a world-record class buck. Bows and all the accessories that come along with them are fancier, more complex, and more expensive than they were 10 years ago.

Does that prevent the average guy from hunting? I don't think so. My bow is a fairly simple modeland I took two does with it my first year bowhunting this year. The main challenge is finding land where you can hunt for free or without paying an arm and a leg.

And although there are those who complain about all the money being spent on hunting these days, the upside is that the Cabelas, Bass Pros, and local pro shops we frequent andall the wildlife/hunting associations we belong to will surely raise a stink - along with us as hunters - if it ever comes to a point where anti-hunters even come close to introducing legislation that makes hunting extinct.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 PM

If hunting ever becomes illegal in my lifetime(which it won't), I'm still going to do it anyway. It's my main passion in life and I'm not going to give it up just because some tree-hugger passed a law forbidding it. But I hated that article. I especially hated the line "The family that slays together, stays together". When people see the word slay, they think of war and just mercilessly killing anything. That's not what us hunters are doing.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:16 PM

To turn this conversation positive, I think the staff and field reporters on this site do a tremendous job - sharing interesting experiences and presenting hunting in a positive light. I especially enjoy reading the journals on the front page. These forums are also very enlightening. Lots of great stories told and advice shared here. Great job guys - and gals.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I e-mailed him and gave him a piece of my mind!!! I'll never subsribe to that mag. with writers like that!!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Spike

Have any of you gentlemen ever read any of his articles?? I'll answer that one for your guys--NO. This is merely an OP ED piece in SI, not to be take as gospel as some of you have--. Like Andy Rooney on 60 minutes.
Frankly, I find it very humerous.

Mike
Old 01-22-2006, 06:40 PM

If that was humerous, then I don't ever want to be funny.

Anywhoo, realize it was not a factual piece but I too am entitled to my opinion and believe the article lacks any substance or point. An op/ed is supposed to have a call to action or move a person to think in a different light. This piece does none of that. Just a rant about what's floating around in his head - just like Andy Rooney, who really annoys me as well.

I have read a few other pieces of writing by this author on SI's web site. I can't say I feel one way or the other about those articles. But again, to each their own. I'm sure I like a lot of writing other people don't.