and I need some insight on how to cut them. Can I do this myself or should I let the pro's do it? If I do it myself can I cut then with a fine tooth hack or should I use a cut off wheel on a dremel or angle grinder? Thanks..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to cut carbon arrows >

How to cut carbon arrows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to cut carbon arrows

Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 AM

Default How to cut carbon arrows

I'm ordering a dozen Easton Axis arrows and I need some insight on how to cut them. Can I do this myself or should I let the pro's do it?

If I do it myself can I cut then with a fine tooth hack or should I use a cut off wheel on a dremel or angle grinder?

Thanks for the help,
Peter B
Old 01-10-2006, 06:05 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to cut carbon arrows

I've used a carpentry chop saw with masonry or metal blade for years. As an extra precaution, I put the nocks in the factory end.

I wouldn't mess with a hacksaw if I were you. Most outfits will cut the shafts to length for a few bucks.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Your paying some good money for those arrows.I use an apple arrow saw specifically made to cut arrows.My suggestion,have them cut professionally unless you have the right equipment.The cut has to be made perfect for the nocks and inserts to fit properly.After I have cut arrows.I use an arrow squaring device to make sure the cuts are even.
Bill
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 AM

I have used a cut off tool before But with the amount of money arrows cost why risk screwin them up.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the above, why risk ruining the arrows or injuring yourself. If you want to get into arrow building, invest in an arrow saw, fletching jig etc...it's money well spent and time well spent too.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Good Advice from Rob.
Why not make the entire arrow yourself.The biggest investment is an electric cutoff saw and a good jig.Once you start making them yourself it is easy to repair or replace damaged fletching and you have a wide variety of colors and types to choose from and it's easy to learn.If you screw up,just scrape them off and start over.I found that I like shield cut feathers after trying several different sizes and types on the same arrows.I like having my own custom made arrows.
Bill
Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 AM

I personaly use a dremel tool . it has a very high RPM and does a great job. but if you are a novice go to the archery shop or the closet or wherever you can get some old carbon arrows and cut a few of them and see how you do before cutting a new arrow

Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM

I will only get carbon arrows from a shop. This way I can look at them when I get them and they can cut them to length when I buy them. Having the ends square is VERY important for a hunting shaft and I don't want to invest the money in the correct tools to do it.

I think a dremel would work if you made a jig for it, but I can't see doing it by hand being very accurate.

I have tried it with a real fine hand saw using tape around where I cut to minimize splintering. Take my advice, don't bother. It's a pain and doesn't work worth a darn. Either take them to a shop or have them cut to length when you order them.

Paul
Old 01-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I made a jig for my dremel tool, it works perfect. But Ausey-guy bought an arrow cut off saw on line for 25.00. PM him and ask him where he got it, it works really well, I saw his at this house. Heck most dremel tool cut off wheels cost so darn much. The saw comes with a cut off wheel. I wish I would have bought one before I went an invested in dremel and the wheels. It's just like a mini chop saw., he had a picture of his in the technical forum lastmonth.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

no offense, but leave it to the pros, doing it yourself may screw up a 100 dollar set of arrows.

Quick Reply: How to cut carbon arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.