Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy? >

WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy?

Now that I have this new bow, I need a rest and sights. I spent all of my dough on buying the bow and I am now budgeting for the accesories for it. I liked the whisker biscuit on one of the bows I shot (bowtech tom cat) but I hear this slows an arrow. Let me know what ya think. EJ
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy?

The Whisker Biscuit will slow your arrows down but if set up correctly it's only about 1-3fps...you won't even notice. It's a great hunting rest. As for the sights It all depends on what you like. You don't need an expensive sight to kill deer. Again if you are only hunting you can spend anywhere from $30.00 to $50.00and still get a quality sight. My hunting bow has a Tru-Glo 2000 sight on it. It was about $50.00 (Tax Incl.) and has an all metal body as well as a one piece sight window/guard (the guard does not screw on) It has the Tritium glow pin for the 20yrd pin. it's light, rugged and simple....perfect for hunting. Both combined will run you under $100.00
Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

sounds good! Can I practice with wood or aluminum arrows until I get the carbon ones? EJ
Old 01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

sounds good! Can I practice with wood or aluminum arrows until I get the carbon ones? EJ
Well, I would stay away from the wooded ones, but yes you can shoot the aluminum arrows. The only thing you need to think about is the size of the arrow. There are different size openings for the biscuits. You need to make sure you have plenty of room around the arrow, just the bottom of the arrow should be touching the black bristles of the biscuit. So get the size that fits.

The worst that will happen is down the road when you do get carbon arrows you may have to get a smaller opening biscuit. The good news is you can just replace the biscuit part for under $15.00 and you don't have to remove the rest to install it.The replacement biscuits are readily available.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 PM

as for a rest I have a TM Hunter that I picked up for $20 and I picked up Tru-Glo Lite Bright Sight at walmart on clearance for $9 and they work really great on my old bow and they got the job done.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just put a Cobra Diamondback rest on my bow and really like, about $40 @ Sportsman's Warehouse which is on the cheap end for fall-away rests.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I said it before and Ill say it again. Not always but most of the time you get what you pay for when it comes to archery!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Well I know plastic is a no no but past that, it doesnt seem to critical. I have heard that the biggest thing is for the equipment to stay solid, not moving when the bow is used. Other than slowing down the arrow, what is the negative points of a whisker biscuit? I liked it best of all of them that I tried.EJ
Old 01-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot alot it will eat the vanes eventually.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:28 PM

They are no longer being manufactured, but a Bodoodle Zapper 300 or 400 style arrow restsare not only cheap, but provide total containmentfor the arrow. This isespecially good forbeginning archery hunters.

I think you can buy them for around $30 and once you get them set up properly, you don't have the problems with eating up the vanes like the WB do.

I learned the hard way, make sure you are nocking your arrows with the cock vane up. If the rest is set up, this will provide you will clearance. I have basically destroyed my first set of vanes because I didn't know that I needed to nock with the cock vane up every shot.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: WHat affordable/quality rest and sights to buy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.