Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

silly ?

Old 10-15-2002, 11:18 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default silly ?

my doughter wants a bow. she is 4. i have been thinkig of geting her one. "she all ready has a bb gun has shot my 22 and my xbow." now would you get her a real bow or a toy? now when i say real i mean one of the kid bows that can or does shot the suction tiped arrows or one of the 5lb recures or 9lb coumpund "they shoot target awors" or one the local bow shop has its a comp. that is ajustibal from 19lbs to 35lbs "35 is the state min"---or the toy the one that shots thoes "nerf" tipe balls?
L. O. D. Charter member and L.O.S.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:36 PM
AK

Default RE: silly ?

My 3 yr old has been shooting an osage selfbow I made him since he could first walk. He's graduated from rubber blunts to steel field points on his arrows. He loves shooting with me, but of course needs my immediate supervision to make sure he doesn't shoot an arrow in an unsafe direction. His little bow will cast an arrow about 40 yards if shot for distance.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

BT if he wants one, get him one. I feel it would be a mistake and a diservice to him to buy a toy bow, I would get him an inexpensive, but decent bow that he can build both his confidence and skill with, a toy may be to frustrating. Good luck and let us know what you do.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-16-2002, 07:53 AM

AK that's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Where can you buy bows for kids?? I have an 8 year old and a 6 year old that I want to get started shooting.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:23 AM

It depends on what you want to spend. Most of the manufactures have a kids/youth bow line. the cheaper ones made out of molded composits cost around $50.00 or you can spend $140.00 to $200.00 on pkgs that can be adjusted to grow with your kids. I started my kids out with an Indian Seneca 10 lbs pull & 17" draw & a Golden Eagle Brave 17 lbs to 22 lbs pull & 18" to 22" draw length. I've moved my oldest 9 up to a Browning Micro Midas that I got off ebay for $85.00 that has pull weight from 20lbs to 45lbs & draw length from 22" to 25". I also bought sons #2 & #3 new bows for this years Xmas off ebay for $85.00 each. A PSE Bandit & a Browning Micro Myst.Here they are shooting.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:27 AM

Oops got the 9 yr old boy twice & left out my 1 1/2 son. He doesn't shoot yet but will in about 1 1/2 yrs. Be there when their young & they will be there when their old.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:26 AM
BT
Typical Buck

thanks yall. i will get her a bow now i have got to dicide on weight and kind recerve or coumpound. i am not sure but 19lb of pull maybe to heavy.
L. O. D. Charter member and L.O.S.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:37 AM

They make them as low as 10lbs. My opinion is go with the compound.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:26 PM

Whatever you buy her sounds great, and you sound like a great farther, that is awesome. Hope you find a good bow for her. Good luck and God Bless