Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ATV Suggestions

Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default ATV Suggestions

WITHOUT getting into brands.......what are some things I need to be looking for (features) on my first ATV? I know I want electronic shift 4x4.....500 CC's......but I'm just not sure if there's something out there that is a MUST-HAVE in today's ATV arena.

Thanks....and seriously....let's not get into a manufacturers' ordeal.

Sincerely

Jeff
Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ATV Suggestions

I would try to get one with racks that gun holders fit to a hitch is a nice featurethe colorand sound of it not to lound. I don't no that much about hunting quads
Old 01-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll only be utilizing it for getting feed to my feeders throughout the winter. I won't be using it to "Hunt"....other than the one trip I'll take to VA, next Fall. All my hunting land is walk-in. The other feature I failed to mention is ....I want it to have a 2" ball ...so that I can pull around my utility trailer.

Otherwise.....we'll have family fun on it.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2006, 01:21 PM

We have a 2004 polaris 500 H.O and its got a flip switch for the 4-wheel drive, but it only spins the front tires when the back tires slip like 1/4 of a turn. Its been good for everything we need it for. Definitely look for ground clearance, cause when you high center, 100 wheel drive isn't gonna get you out. If I ever bought another I would get camoflauge, and put one of them exhaust silencer things. We searched the internet until we found the type we liked, then went to the dealer and gave it a little test drive. If you pull a lot of heavy trailers, you might ought to look into something with a straight axle, instead of the independent suspension which drops the back end a lot more.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you pull a lot of heavy trailers, you might ought to look into something with a straight axle, instead of the independent suspension which drops the back end a lot more.
I can't believe I just saw a polaris guy say his suspension wasn't the best for everything! j/k

I was thinkning the exact same thing when I read what you said. if you are going to hook a trailer up a lot, you will wanta solid axle machine. With a solid axle, you won't loose ground clearance just hooking up atrailer.

I know it sounds stupid, but a must have on my quad was a headlight on the handlebars. I wanted a light that could move with the bars.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry but I have to say it...... Kawasaki Prairie 650... Brute Force 650 or 750i extremely light for utility quads and more power than two of your buddies favorite quads combined... Full locking differentials by pulling a lever. Check em out
Old 01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really want to name a brand!!!!

Look for steel tubular racks, the plastic mesh ones look OK but its a real pain trying to get bungee hooks into them.

Good set of lights,mine has a pair on the fenders and a big light on the bars.

Look for a machine with the breakaway fender edges that are held in place with plastic rivets, this way you can brush right into trees and watch them bend. Worse case you replace plastic holders instead of expensive fenders.

I love my Honda (oops )
Old 01-04-2006, 04:54 PM

A friend of mine hunted the far north yukon with a outfitter he said he saw a montian of dead quads and a lot left in the woods , he ask the outfitter his preference, he said he wouldn't buy any quad unless it said honda on the side of it after trying thim all.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

i recently purchased my first....starts with a p......fully automatic, 4 wheel drive (a must have)...i haven't got many accessories yet, basically ended up getting racks for the front and back and a fanny pack for the gas tank....i'll be gettin' a seat cover cause it gets a bit too hot to sit on during the summer but they sent me the wrong one so i have to send it back, handlebar guards to block my hands from the weather (learned i needed them when we went to georgia, riding in the freezing cold and rain woke me up), and eventually i'll get a winch but so far haven't really needed one...i also purchased "boot covers" which were suggested by the retailer...once they're installed they said i'll be able to drive over most anything and we have a lot of palmettos here so they'll be helpful.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Spike

I won't name a brand but if your looking to tow with it, there are some out there that have receivers built in that can handle a descent size trailer. I found this out after I purchased mine last year and assumed I could tow any small trailer.

Quick Reply: ATV Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.