Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What cover scent are you all using? >

What cover scent are you all using?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What cover scent are you all using?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What cover scent are you all using?

I very rarely use scents. I tend to stay scent free.

If I am going to be hunting an area for an extended period, ie. week or so, I will get some leaves, limbs, etc... and put it in an airtight bag to try and get the clothes to smell like the natural surrounding. That is only if I am not wearing my scent lok gear.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't cover your scent. That's the reason dogs can track down a certain person or drugs that have been covered with other scent. The molecules are different in the different scents. If you don't believe it then catch a rabbit and rub dirt or pine scent on it and turn it loose and see if a dog can track it. Just stay scent free.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use the scent killer spray with the deer on the bottle.I also use scent wafers with the dirt scent and wash my clothes in scent free detergent and rub some dirt on myself. Works for me!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 PM

i stay scentless most of the time, but i use fox pee now and then too. usually within 30 minutes the fox pee gets covered in real fox pee. there are a few where i hunt and i swear they smell it a mile away and need to remark it as their territory.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

coon piss
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually follow the be scent frre philosophy but this year I've been experimenting with a concoction of vanilla and water. Several guys that I used to hunt with used it religously and had great sucess with it. So far it has been great, I've had deer within 5 yards of me an were not the least bit spooky.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 AM

I use fresh earth scent. I have some of the detergent I was my hunting clothes in, the spray and some of the wafers. I also use red fox urine.

I tried using a vanilla scent that I made at home and it didn't work very well. Besides I think vanilla is an attractant, and you don't want to use an attractant as a cover scent.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the majority and stay as scent free as possible using scent eliminators not scented cover ups. My thoughts are simple...no really.....if you choose to use coon or fox urine, it can become an alarm scent to a particular animal if lets say the neighbor is using the same cover and is jumping and bumping deer. The deer will have a learned behavior and associate the scent with danger....it's best to stay as scent free as possible in my opinoin...
Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 PM

The reason we wear camo and are woried about our scent in the first place is we don't want the deer to know we are there. So why purposefuly put out a scent that tells the deer there is something in the area, the point is to be invisible and SCENTLESS. I allways just do anything I can to contain my human scent. Some good ideas with the bark and what not haven't tried that. I don't mean to start a fuss, just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Spike

I tried the vanilla thing this year, it seemed to work. A buddy was on a S Texas ranch where that is all they use, good enough for me. One morning I went out after scent free shower, scent free clothes wash, scentlock suit underneathetc. A deer was blowing at me from downwind within minutes of getting in the stand. Next morning, used vanilla/water spray and a decent buck approached to within twenty yards from straight downwind...

Quick Reply: What cover scent are you all using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.