Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on setting sights >

Question on setting sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on setting sights

Old 01-03-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Question on setting sights

I am a rooking bowhunter and am only pulling 54 lbs. I got new 3 pin sight for my bow for Christmas and need help. I wanted to set my pins for 10, 20, and 30 yards. My brother who I hunt with told me I don't need 10 yards I can use my 20 for shots that close. Then I said I'd set them for 20, 25 and 30 yards. He again told me no, reasoning you don't set a pin for x5 yards. I don't like having a pin there doing nothing it's a distraction to me and I with the low weight I'm pulling anything beyond 30 yards is out of my range. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Question on setting sights

It's your bow and sights, by gosh, set em where you want em. If you want 10,20, and 30 yards, go for it. That's a great set up to have.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Set them as you please. I use 2 pins, one at 20 & one at 30. My sight came with 3 & I just took off the red one.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 PM

i would set them for 20y, 30y, and 40y because if your bow is accurate than you should be able to shoot 40 yards, my one cousin is using a 37lb draw and it's in 5 1/2 groups at 40 yards, he worked his way up though
Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I had thought of taking one pin off but didn't know if that was possible. I also wasn't sure if I could make a good kill shot at 40 yards. Maybe I'll measure to see how deep my arrows go into my target at that distance.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Mobowhuntr had it right, its your bow.

You may be able to use one sight for all three distances. I can use my top pin for 10, 20, and 30 yards. It shoots a little high at 10 and 20 yards and dead on at 30 yards. When a deer is close , I aim right at the heart. If I'm high, I will still get lungs. Something to think about. Good luck to you!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 PM

THAT'S ILLEGAL!jk, that's pretty good ducsauce, I got to try that!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

At a draw weight of 54 pounds depending on your arrow weight and draw length you could very possibly have a flat shooting (fast) bow.The faster your arrow the less pins that are necessary to have.
I hunt with one pin and out to 40 yards I am very comfortable with where I need to hold to compensate for the arc of the arrow out to that distance.I believe the biggest benefit is the simplicity,especially in the heat of the moment when drawing on an animal.There is no confusion over which pin to use as there is only one choice.You should be able to cover your hunting shot comfort zone with two pins.Maybe a 15 yard pin and a 30 yard pin,they would be spaced far enough apart to have plenty of space between them so your sight picture is not to busy.
As one poster had said you can do what ever you are comfortable with,whatever works for you.Play around with it and once you make a decision,practice,practice,practice and then practice some more.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Set you pins at 10,20,30 and see what the gap is. IF its small, try 20,30, 40. Don't let people pressure you into shooting out to 40 yds, bow hunting is up close. I would however recommend practicing out to 40 to make the 20 yarders a piece of cake. It ultimately comes down to what YOU want. Best of luck

Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 PM

Another vote for 20, 30, 40 yard pins. At first use your 40 yard pin just for practice to make your closer shots at 30 and 20 yardseasier for you. Once your confidence level is up and if you find a great opportunity for a good deer at 40 yards and your enviromental conditions are all calm and stable; you may just find yourself putting that 40 yard pin to use to take that deer down.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Question on setting sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.