Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a day 2

Old 01-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What a day 2

Well December 23rd we got off work early for Christmas break. Since my shopping was done,I decide what a great time to sneak out with the bow for a couple hours. It's 2:00 in the afternoon as I head out. I'm going to hunt a local farm. The corn was picked very late, it was early December before they got it all off. It messed up my normal season but now it's got to be a great place for the late season. I drive about 3/4 of a mile to the spot I will park.
Now as I'm getting out of the truck, I think, man, I've got all my wife's presents in here. (she's the type that will sneak a peak if you hide them in the house). Maybe I should drive to a different area that will probably be less productive but the truck would be safer from thieves. So I throw the keys on the seat as I take my coat back off. Yep you guessed it, the slight incline I was parked on was enough to make the door close. So now let's recap, the car is locked my bow and all my wife's presents are in the rear. I lay my jacket on the hood, (to give the appearance that I'm close by) and start hiking for home. The easiest way home is right through my hunting area. Naturally when I get to the corn field there are 2 doe already in the corner feeding. I trudge across the snow covered cut corn field (no fun) and eventually get home. My spare keys are always in the drawer, but of course when I need them they are missing. An hour of looking and still no luck..in fact they are still missing!
I know.. I'll call the local cops they are usually pretty good at getting in cars, but alas they don't answer and I don't dare call 911 for this!
Ok so I grab a couple coat hangers and some assorted tools and jump on the ATV to try and break in. Flying up a State Route 7 at 55mph on a quad, I pass a State Hoopie. Oh well, when the inevitable happens and he picks me up, at least I can have him try to get into my truck, right? I pull over and wait for him...he doesn't even brake..and keeps on going!
To make a long story longer, I get back to the truck and after an hour or more I finally get the side vent window open with a machetteI carry on the ATV, and hook the keys with a coat hanger. Now I have a quad and a truck so gotta take one home hike back and get the other. Needless to say it's after dark. Not a productive hunt!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a day 2

Man days like that will make you cuss out loud.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Murphy's law at work.......
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM

bum deal. Atleast nobody stole you bow or your gifts. I know it still doesn't make up for a crappy day.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Site Bouncer

Sorry about your day. I have found that you just need to laugh when things like this happen because for some reason they do and when they do there seems to be nothing that can be done about it.

There is an old saying............When life starts toserve you $hit sandwichs, all you can do is acquire a taste.[:@]
Old 01-03-2006, 02:51 PM

wow. and i thought i had a bad day when 3 squads pulled upand asked me if it was legal to hunt and shoot where i was.