Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 affordable beginner bow >

affordable beginner bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

affordable beginner bow

Old 12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default affordable beginner bow

COuld a few of you fill me in on what you think would be a good bow for not much dough? I saw a PSC 70 lb for under 200, is this a good deal? I honestly know nothing about bows or bowhunting. Thanks, EJ
Old 12-30-2005, 05:21 PM

Default RE: affordable beginner bow

The possibilities are endless. Before you even consider a brand, decide what your spending limit is. Without knowing that, you'll fall into the quagmire that is the endless choice of bows.

After that, do some research. Look at different companies and their bows. Learn basic terminology, brace height, axle to axle, things such as that. From there, you may be able to get a GENERAL idea of what you would look for. Then, go to your local pro shop and shoot every bow in the store that fits your price range. The one you want will be evident after shooting them.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Hmm, I guess I can scrape together about 225 bucks, but then I would have to wait to buy stuff for it. I looked at that NOVA, I think the manufacturer was pst or something. EJ
Old 12-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I honestly know nothing about bows or bowhunting. Thanks, EJ"[align=right][/align]

I am assume that you are wanting to get into bowhunting? If this is the case, the first thing I would do is sign up and take aArchery Education Course, (NBEF course)this coursetakes anywhere from 8 to 12 hours broke up to a couple of nights and maybe half a saturday, depending on the instructor. It covers the basic subjects from bowhunting methods to bowhuntingequipment, shot placement and animal recovery/blood trailing. In additionI would read up and learn all that you could on the subject of bowhunting. There are many good bowhunting mags to select from.Of courseI would continue to hang around here, becausethere are a lot of very well informed bowhuntes on this site.Other good web sites to go to aswell are bowsite, and archery talk. Between these three sites Iknow a fellow could learn all that is needed to start bowhunting. Now to answer your question, mobowhuntr is correct in his statement. I would also add that I wouldn't spend much on a set up just yet, because you realy don't know what you want or are looking for. I would try to stay under the $250 mark and buy used.That PSE for under $200 could be or could not be a good deal depending on how old the bow is and if it even fits you.Do yourself a favor and go to a bow shop and have them find out your draw length.I wouldn't spend a dime until I found out this info. Also I wouldn't buy any older used bow untilthe bow was inspected by someone who knows what their doing. With bowhunting there is so much info to be learned and shared that it takes a lifetime to master all the different areas of the subject. Anexample of this is mostbowhuntes (like myself) are good with compounds, but if you handed us a recurve or longbow we would be introuble, or you could say the game we hunt would be very safe.The good thing is archery is addicting and fun, be it hunting, or target recreation shooting all the way to competition shooting. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is something that you feel that you may be interested in for a long time. I would not start at the bottom end of the price range for new. Bows depreciate quickly and you can get a used mid range to top end bow, for the price of a brand new bottom end bow. All the bow companies have their "bargin" bow. With a new lower end bow, you will soon be wishing that you had something better and probably be looking into a new bow in the next year or two. There are alot of good used bows out there. Shop around and get an idea of what you want in a bow. Welcome to archery.....................Hang on, its afun ride.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 AM

The company you are referring to is PSE. They do indeed make the Nova. Is there any way you can shoot these bows like Mobowhuntr mentioned?

If you can, take down every bow you can shoot and falls within your price range. Then go shooting. At first, stay away from the brand wars. Just shoot as many bows as you can then make a decision based off of performance, feel, etc.

Don't worry about all of the accessories just yet, except for some sights and an arrow rest. Those can get you started shooting, then add on the other accessories when you can. (Stabilizers, String Silencers, etc)

An honest pro will know exactly what you need to get started and won't push the stuff you don't quite need yet. Good luck and feel free to bring your questions here. These guys know their stuff!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

cool! I will see if I can maybe get those fellas to let me shoot them and see what is going on with it all. I am a rifle big game hunter and an upland bird hunter but the bow hunting has always intriuged me. This PSE is a nova 4 and it is new for 179. Seems pretty good. I will try to shoot it and get back with you all. EJ
Old 12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Elkcrazy...If this is something that you think, or KNOW, you want to do this, don't skimp on the equipment. It will cost you more in the long run because you will want to upgrade within 2 seasons. It would be worth shooting a lot of bows and keep your eyes on the classified section or eBay for someone that recently upgraded their equipment.

Most avid bowhunters take very good care of their equipment and like to keep up with the technology and strokein deercamp. So there may be a quality bow out there that you may have to replace the strings or do nothing at all. Most bows don't their value very well regardless of the shape they are in and most people will take a bath on their used bow.

Don'tsell yourself short on equipment.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Spike

Go with the advice of shooting as many as you can. I was prepared to buy a bow in the 600+ dollar range, but I shot the Reflex Excursion the best, so I gought that for less than half the price.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

go on ebay and get urself a used bow .. thats in good condition they usually have really good deals.. i would save up alittle more cash and lean torwards a bowtech or mathews

Quick Reply: affordable beginner bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.