Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antlers

Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Antlers

I've heard that u can get a general idea of how old deer are by the color of there antlers. The darker they are, the older the deer. I've been using this method of ageing deer for a while. I just wanna no what everyone else thinks of this method.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Antlers

I don't now how surfire it is but I agree that most of the older
bucks seem to have darker antlers. Some of the young ones almost
appear white. I think it also depends on what part of the country you
are in. Just my thoughts....
Old 12-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think the color of the rack has much to do with the age of the deer. I just got a buck that had a pretty white rack, but the age of the deer was about 4 1/2 years old. At least thats what my taxedermist said. He judged the age of the deer by it's teeth.
Check this website out, it will help show how the deers teeth change as their age progresses.

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/age_determination.cfm
Old 12-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

I think that deer with darker racks live in more shady habitat and / or rub on trees that can stain their racks darker. I believe the opposite for deer with lighter racks. I think that they hang out in more open areas such as crp fields and such where they get more exposure to sunlight wich can lighten their racks. There is more to it than this, but this is just the general idea.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never found a single indication about rack color and age. I've seen young deer with both dark and light antlers as well as older deer with both, dark and lighter antlers.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no relationship between age/color in antlers.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found a small 3 point shed last year the was dark chocolate! So I don't think age has anything to do with it! JMO!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

To my knowledge antler color is relitive to a deers diet. Canada, dark soil dark antlers, just a thought.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I think its likely genetic & what they eat maybe but has nuthing to do with age. I got a little 3 point last year with dark chocalate colored antlers & doubt he was even 1&1/2 but he mighta been.
I dont know how personally but you can age them by their back teeth. Fella at the check station here does it for his own information. Me, I couldn't care less usually how old a deer I tag is. If I get a nice buck I'll ask the guy what he thinks, other than that I care more how much meat I get than how long its been around.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Spike

I dont believe there is any rhyme or reason for a deers antler color except for maybe genetics. I was hunting this past fall over a corn field on my private land and watched a herd of does and two very nice deer, one with very dark antlers and one with large pearl white antlers push these does around in the pre-rut. I know that both of these deer are living in the same habitat and using the same food sources so i dont know if those factor into it or not. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.