Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks? >

Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks?

Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks?

I've been a big fan of strap-on type stands for a myriad of reasons, but getting to that height is becoming more of a concern. I've used the folding E-Z steps for over 20 yearsand have never had one break (although I've had one or two close calls of them pulling out of very thick bark). I've read here recently though of several others who weren't so lucky.

That leaves me wondering about the strap on sticks and ladders. I've got a couple sets of some EXTEEMLY HEAVY ones, but they aren't practical to carry around because of weight and noise. Anyone had experience with lightweight stick or ladders that aren't an ordeal to carry around?

I'm also interested in other safer screw-in steps -- provided they can be quietlycarried. Ideas anyone?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 AM

Default RE: Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks?

I've used the 16' 2 piece stick ladder before and liked them.

With that said, and with all the accidents of falling out of trees, I've opted to hunt from the ground from now on. Kind of hard to fall out of a ground blind!!!LOL

When I told my uncle that he needed to wear a safety harness while he hunted from his stand he laughed and said "Only jack___es fall from trees". Well he fell and now hunting in a box blind or a ground blind.

I just thought I'd share that.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, I use the Non Typical sectional ladders. I have 4 sections and it gets me 25' up. I can lash them to my stand and they are very light, total package weight about 20 lbs or so. I'll send you a pic of the setup later on today.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as I'm concerned, no screw in step is completely safe. A good friend and member here, Big Country, almost died this season when an Ameristep screw-in pulled out of the tree. He was climbing in before dawn and fell from only 6 feet up.He landed on his feet with no apparent injury at first. Then he felt something warm and wet run down his leg. He turned his light on and saw blood everywhere. A step caught him on the way down, severed his bicep, deltoid and part of his tricep muscle. The main artery in his arm was pulled out of the muscle but miraculously not cut. As it was, he nearly bled out before getting to the hospital. They had to give him 4 pints of blood and hundreds of stitches. One of the guys hunting with him thought he was on the blood trail of a fatally hit deer when he crossed BC's trail out to his truck. The doc told him he was close to bleeding out. I'm on blood thinners and that fall would have certainly been fatal for me.No more meathooks on my trees!

I've been using the steel sticks by gorilla and the Aluminum Rapid Rails by Ameristep this year. Thegorilla sticks are a little on the heavy side but lighter and more manageable than most steel sticks or ladders and they are easy to set, Rock solid and quiet. The rapid rails are much lighter and nest together making them easy to strap right to the stand. They are a bit harder to keep quiet once on the tree. If the tree isnt straight, the longest sections will occasionally shiftsomewhat when you step on it causing some noise. Another friend has an older set of them and his have rubber cups that prevent the noise. I'm going to pick some up at the hardware store before I use them again.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]
As far as I'm concerned, no screw in step is completely safe.
I've had screw in steps break with me and was very lucky to not get injured. I use the sticks now and feel much safer. They are a pain to carry but easy to install and you work up less sweat getting into a tree. When my screw in step broke it happened to be on a tree with a fork in it. I wedged into the fork and didn't fall more that a foot. Looking down though, I saw several steps right between my legs. I'm tellin' ya' boys, I'd be a singin' a higher pitch in church come Sunday!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I use are hang on stands. With that said I use a climbing stick most of the time. Not a fan of screw in steps. Had 1 break and 1 pull out on me. I did see in Gander moutain yesterday. Amerastep builds a strap on step. Looks like the real thing. They were $7.69 each tho. But I will own a set of these for next year for when I pack way in!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I have been using the Lonewolf climbing sticks for the last 3 years and love them. They are fast to put up, Im mobile and they are easy to pack in and carry around.Awesome setup...........
Old 12-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

I have used screwins for over 25 years. The only screwin steps I completely trust are Cranford Ezy Climb rod steps. They don't fold so they are a little bulky, but fit in my fanny pack just fine. But for ease of use and quickness, Lone Wolf climbing sticks or Ameristep aluminum rapid rails are on my list.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:04 AM

I bought two 20' sets of sticks this year, just to give them a shot. I bought Hunter's View Tree Snake sticks. They were VERY inexpensive, which is why I thought I'd try them. I've only used them half a season, but so far so good. I can tell you their customer service is PHENOMENAL! I had been planning on building my own, but these were cheaper than JUST the raw steel I would have needed. They're not too heavy (though I have nothing to compare it too). During the off-season, I plan on getting some grip tape from the local skate shop, and applying a thing strip to each step...will stop the squeaking sound from my rubber boots when wet, and will make them much safer when muddy/icy. The last batch of screw-ins I bought came from Walmart, and are the steel rod type (non-folding). Used them for 3 season with no complaints at all...they go in MUCH easier than some of the older steps I had.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:42 PM

I've been using the Ameristep Grizzlies and never had a problem... They are big, firm footing and strong... however.. I have read enough about what screw in steps can do to you if you fall and I keep thinking about being gored between the legs or under the chin. This year I bought two sets of walking stiks. The problem I face now is that you can remove the bottom sets of screw-ins to keep people from getting up in my stand and stealing it. What do you guys do with the climbing stiks to prevent that?

Quick Reply: Screw-in steps, ladders, or sticks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.