Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is foundered? >

what is foundered?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is foundered?

Old 12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what is foundered?

Ok, I read the post and seen the pic in the post below labeled Freaky deer, so what is foundered? I have never heard of it.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what is foundered?

It is a hoof that looks like something right out of elephant man.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally, hooves on animals such as deer, horses, mules, and cows grow, such as like our fingernails. Everyonce in a while, we need to clip our fingernails to keep them short. Animals however...don't have fingernail clippers at their diposal. They rely on the ground, rocks, and other debris to wear the hooves down to a manageable level. When for whatever reason, the hooves don't get worn down, the animal's hooves grow exceptionally long..and it is called foundered. This condition makes it extremely difficult for theanimal to walk and perform daily routines.

In severe cases, the bones begin to move downin the hoof and becomecawk-eyed. There is no fix for this and the animal usually is put down. If it isn't too bad, the conditoncan be fixed with help from a farrier and special boots/shoes. That is mainly just for horses and uch though.

I don't quite know why that deer would have foundered though.
Steven
Old 12-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

It's as 308 described. My ex-SIL had horses and IIRC, she said excess protein caused foundering. I think I had asked her about feeding horsed alfalfa (?).
Old 12-17-2005, 12:20 PM

must be from feeding deer in your backyard.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also called Laminitis. Is an acutley painful inflammation of the foot. It occurs most often in the front feet although it can affect the hind feet as well. Foundrer is the name given to the resulant tissue dammage and complications following one or a series of acute attacks of laminitis
In the worse case, permanent damage to the laminae can result and the attactment of the coffin bone to the hoof wall breaks down. The whole weight of the horse or hoofed animal bears down on the coffin bone, and without the attachment to the hoof wall, the bone rotates down and can actually be pushed right through the sole to the ground.
A normal coffin boneisshaped like this < and points outward. When rotation occurs and points down ward, is when acute founder occurs, in most case the animal must be put down.
I had a horse that had 9 % rotation in one foot and 11 % on the other. Needless to say, he no longer with us.
Bob <><
Old 12-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks, I was pretty young when dad got rid of all the dairy and livestock. and just farmed cash crop. I probably learned about this in FFA but that was over 20 years ago, and my memory aint that good anymore. thanks again. Scott.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:34 PM

We've got about 36 horses and one pony has foundered. These guys pretty much summed up what it is.