Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spring Bear Hunt....help! >

Spring Bear Hunt....help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring Bear Hunt....help!

Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Spring Bear Hunt....help!

Hey all, I figured that a bunch of you might be able to help me out on this one.

I want to start looking in to a spring bear hunt for next season and was looking for some tips and outfitters. I live in NY and would prefer to drive to the hunt. (flying is not out of the question though)

Any ideas on prices and what I can expect?

Also, if you have worked with outfitters or guides who you highly recommend please post their information so I can start this process. I have never hunted anything but whitetails so I am eager to expand my horizons.

P.S.- This would be bowhunting only.

Thanks,

Flip
Old 12-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spring Bear Hunt....help!

Ditto that Flip-out, I am also looking for a spring bear hunt Quebec,Ontario,or possibly a fall combo huntin New Brunswick.

I would also be bow-hunting but I would be going with 2 others who would at a minimum want muzzle-loader for bear. They are nervous about the bear/bow.

I've checked the outfitter forum. But would like to hear actual personal reccomendations from guys who have gone.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Lawrence Dyer and Sons in New Brunswick, I've hunted with them twice since 2001. Lots of bears sighted on both trips, decent size bears taken the weeks I was there, don't shoot the first bear you see unless you're comfortable judging bears, lots of potential for decent size bears. Danny DYER baits months prior to the start of the season, lots of active bait sights. I beleive he offers combos in the fall if the moose season coincides and if you're lucky enough to draw a tag. Good luck
Old 12-15-2005, 04:30 AM

Have a back up plan!

ALWAYS have a buddy, friend, guide, someone to back you up with a good firearm. Also, carry a side arm! .357 or better. .45 if you can and use magum rounds. Semi-Auto!

Chances are your first shot, although it is a leathal hit will just piss him off. Also, if it is a sow with cubs near by, and she scents you, she might charge and she can close that 30 yards in a blink of an eye.

A bears nose it just as good as a white tail, but you have, at best, a 50/50 chance i it turninh tail and running, or deciding that YOU are thnksgivving dinner!

Personally, I have never hunted bears, but once I was hunting deer in the smokeys. My friend was packing heat and we both had a muzzle loader. We surprised a bear and he dropped the muzzle loader in exchange for the .45. We stared each other down and I started to back off. The bear did the same.

Sorry for the long story, but that situation made me reallize the irony of the hunter becoming the hunted!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 AM

Miramchi Inn in New Brunswick.........drove from outside of Philadelphia and it took us like 20 hours or so..........they can pretty much guarantee you a bear.......went there in 2001 asa high school graduation gift. it was the first week of the season and some of the bears were still coming out of hibernation (you can tell by their sh!ts). i would take the second or third week of the season just to be safe..........i got a bear the last day with my rifle but brought my bow up and intended to hunt with it but i had only killed one deer with it ever so i just used my rifle..........looking to go back up there again soon........cost about $1500 bucks but it was A+++++ all the way.........also saw some moose and the deer are huge up there............. http://www.miramichiinn.com/english/english.htm
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: bjanakos

Have a back up plan!

ALWAYS have a buddy, friend, guide, someone to back you up with a good firearm. Also, carry a side arm! .357 or better. .45 if you can and use magum rounds. Semi-Auto!

Chances are your first shot, although it is a leathal hit will just piss him off. Also, if it is a sow with cubs near by, and she scents you, she might charge and she can close that 30 yards in a blink of an eye.

A bears nose it just as good as a white tail, but you have, at best, a 50/50 chance i it turninh tail and running, or deciding that YOU are thnksgivving dinner!

Personally, I have never hunted bears, but once I was hunting deer in the smokeys. My friend was packing heat and we both had a muzzle loader. We surprised a bear and he dropped the muzzle loader in exchange for the .45. We stared each other down and I started to back off. The bear did the same.

Sorry for the long story, but that situation made me reallize the irony of the hunter becoming the hunted!
If you are looking to go to Canada, handguns are illegal.
As a bear hunting guide myself, I never carry a gun with me while baiting. I only carry a large can of pepper spray, also known as bear spray.Spraying a bear with a can of pepper spray will knock them down as fast, or faster, than any gun.
As for black bear being dangerous, very very unlikely. I have walked up on a number of bears at the bait. They eitherrun off or walk farenough away while I refillthe bait.
I would invite you my camp, but we no longer have a spring bear hunt.
If you have any questions about what to expect from the outfitter, just ask, I will be glad to answer any questions.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:17 PM

FLIP, Here is a great BC BEARoutfitter-

Spring Black Bear Hunt
$ 2,500.00 US (Plus Licenses)
per person for 6 Day Hunt

[ul][*]1 Guide for 2 Hunters - 1 Bear Per Hunter[*]Style of Hunting used Spot & Stock thus giving hunters the opportunity to view more bears per day.[*]If Hunters wish a second Bear (Time permitting) $ 750.00 - plus tag.[*]Good Ratio of Bears of Color[*]Excellent Rifle - Bow - Black Powder Season [/ul]
All inclusive-

Spring Black Bear Hunt
$ 3,350.00 US
(Plus Licenses & Tags)
per person for 6 Day Hunt

[ul][*]1 Guide per Hunter - 1 Bear Per Hunter[*]Style of Hunting used Spot & Stock thus giving hunters the opportunity to view more bears per day.[*]If Hunters wish a second Bear (Time permitting) there is a $ 750.00 Addition Animal Fee[*]Good Ratio of Bears of Color[*]Excellent Rifle - Bow - Black Powder Season[*]

Non-Resident Hunting License information

License Fees are in Canadian Dollars plus 7% GST tax.

LICENSES & TAGS:
PRICE
+7% GST

Hunting License:
$180.00
$192.60

Moose:
$250.00
$267.50

Mule Deer:
$125.00
$133.75

W-tail Deer:
$125.00
$133.75

Black Bear:
$180.00
$192.60

Cougar:
$230.00
$246.10

Lynx:
$40.00
$42.80

Bobcat:
$40.00
$42.80

Wolf:
$50.00
$53.50

Mountain Sheep:
$620.00
$663.40
[/ul]
[email protected]
Old 01-04-2006, 06:38 PM

talk to taggart bay lodge i took my first black powder bear with them. i saw a ton of bears ,the camp went ten for ten on the week... best of all i couldnt find anyone to go with me so my wife and kids went too and it was the best trip i ever went on..oh they are in laniel quebec. bring a good head net!!!photo on my web site doubledoutdoors.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Spike

Hi Flipout

I've hunted New Brunswick the last four years for black Bear
and have taken one each year with a Rifle .
I recommend you hunt if possible, the last week of may or first, second week of june as they're season ends approx. june 29 th
i will be bringing my bow along with a rifle this comming spring, the cost of
the lodge i've hunted with is no more than $1650.00U.S.funds
which includes Lodging, three meals a day,license and guide service.
i'd also add approx. about $200.00 for your Guide tip and Meat, Hide processing .Canadian Customs has a small fee for Firearm permits
about $ 25.00 U.S.
You cannot bring PISTOLS/SIDEARMS into canada ! and i believe you'll also need a US Passport this coming year.
The Lodge and Guide service i use is the Best i've used and Highly recommend then ! The owner has taken over 52 bears and knows bear hunting
If you'd like more info please feel free to email me your questions and i can pass they're info onto you

Good Luck, Take Care Kevin
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's one I can highly recommend.

TurnPike Ridge Outfitters owned by Don Helstrom

HCR 69 box 558
Medway ME 04460
207-746-5860

He's out of Maine and offers fall hunts there however he springs in Quebec. I was afraid of booking a bear hunt and after learning my Mom's new husband(then) hunted with this outfitter several times with fantastic success, I booked and went with him.....6 of 8 guys took bear that week in camp, the 7th missing two with his bow and the 8th, he wouldn't kill a bear if one was tied up....

The week prior, the other camp he ran took 6 of 8 as well.

He is particular and when they set out sites, no one but you will hunt said sites either before or after you...I liked that.

I hunted in '98 and it was $900, I'm not sure what it is today.....if you go to the Harrisburg, PA sport show, he is always there.

Again, I highly recommend him and I wouldn't do that if I didn't have the confidence you would as well.

Quick Reply: Spring Bear Hunt....help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.