Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your take on baiting? >

What's your take on baiting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your take on baiting?

Old 12-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Default What's your take on baiting?

I live in Western Michigan and have a hard time finding good amounts of good hunting land. I was raised by hunters who all are baiters. When I am hunting small chunks of land 20 acres or less, I need to bring the deer to me. I have been fairly successful with descent size bucks and I know that my chances of taking a large buck are much less. I have also taken bucks without baiting but I enjoy seeing more deer, does this seem right.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your take on baiting?

Welcome to the board!
This subject is obviously very controversial, and has actually been beat to death on this board.
That said, IMO it really comes down to how you feel about it personally. I am not going to put someone down for doing something that is legal, but for me....you couldn't pay me to hunt over bait. I'd quit hunting before I'd take that up.

No offence meant, it's just my .02, for what it's worth.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:17 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I some what agree w/ WV Hunter. It all depends on you and your preferences. Its mean a little more when you harvest a deer that was not coming to get a free meal. They also say that baiting spreads CWD. I have not looked into this but maybe someone can back me up on it. We certainly don't need that spreading anymore.

Everyone is different and that is what makes this sport so fun. Have fun and good luck!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

As long as you are doing something legal in your area it only comes down to personal choice. I don't really enjoy hunting over feeders but I have thrown down a little corn in areas I think they are travelling, mainly to slow them down. I have thrown corn in areas sproradically, maybe every week or two, and they start to check those areas. I don't see this any different that hunting over acorns or a crop field.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in Texas, where feeders are considerednormal piecesof hunting equipment. I don'tuse 'emmyself because I hunt public landwhere they're illegal. I wouldn't bait anyway, for the same reason I hunt with a recurve or longbow instead of a compound, and from the ground instead of trying to perch in a treestand. Just my preference.

I don't chuck rocks at the guys who use feeders or treestands though. Maybe I'll occasionally toss a few pebblesat compounders, just for fun.[8D]
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Welcome to the forums!

I some what agree w/ WV Hunter. It all depends on you and your preferences. Its mean a little more when you harvest a deer that was not coming to get a free meal. They also say that baiting spreads CWD. I have not looked into this but maybe someone can back me up on it. We certainly don't need that spreading anymore.

Everyone is different and that is what makes this sport so fun. Have fun and good luck!
CWD is not spread by baiting. That being said,if it is legal to bait and you feel good about it go for it. Its illegal to bait in Iowa so I have never hunted over bait but I do leave a mineral lick year round about 60 yards from my stand on a travel route from a food plot to a bedding ground.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

If baiting is legal i dont have a problem if others do it. If i personally had to hunt over bait i would sell my bow call it quits. I dont think it is an effective way to get big bucks, but i have never done it either. as far as it being sporting, however u hunt with a bow it is going to be difficult, baiting just takes away the whole scouting element, to me that is the best part of hunting. Now people that sit over a bait pile with a .300 mag, i think they would be better served going to the grocery store and buying meat.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:39 PM

CWD is not spread by baiting. That being said,if it is legal to bait and you feel good about it go for it. Its illegal to bait in Iowa so I have never hunted over bait but I do leave a mineral lick year round about 60 yards from my stand on a travel route from a food plot to a bedding ground.
Well I looked into the spreading of CWD and right now it can go either way. Heres just one of the sites I found. http://www.bowhunter.com/conservation/bn_knowhuntingdec2003/#cont
Pretty much, they believe that anything that brings deer together may spread the disease. Baiting, which brings deer together, causes them to leave urine, feces, and saliva in the area which is a potential for the spread of CWD.

I am not "bashing" anyone for baiting deer. I could care less how any of yall get your tags filled. I have used salt and mineral licks in the past and I just don't fool w/ them anymore. Was I spreading CWD? Possibly, but thats before I knew what CWD even was.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather a "hunter" bait just so he or she could be more selective of the aniamls they shoot. Atleast this way a person may not want to kill every single yearling buck that comes in??? Bait if ya want to, of course we don't have that option in Illinois so it isn't a problem here.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

No baiting for this hunter.

Quick Reply: What's your take on baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.