Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Im sick and tired >

Im sick and tired

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im sick and tired

Old 12-10-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Im sick and tired

Ok, a couple of days ago i shot a doe with my bow. This is the second one i have shot this year with a bow. Both shots have completly passed threw the deer. But hours after i get out of stand and go look for them i blood trail them for bout 500 yards and never find them. the blood just stops. But them i get in there the next afternoon and doe like a triangle search for them, which consist of 3 or 4 guys loooking for the deer and i never find them. What is going on here. Are the deer just to strong for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Im sick and tired

Depends on where your arrow is passing thru at. I have never seen a double lung pass thru go more than fifty yards. You must be hitting to far back or foward.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

What is going on here is shot placement. Sounds like you need to get a little more proficient with the bow. A shot in the vitals will not go the 500 yards you say you tracked blood.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Spike

Sounds like your not hiting them in the right place (lungs,heart) area
did the shots feel good to you?[&:]
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 AM

I think what you might be doing is exactly the same thing i did my first year.I think you might be getting excited andwhen you get to full draw and before you can get the pin settled you squeeze the trigger on hair.You have to pick a spot then squeeze the trigger not punch it.I lost three deer my first season byshooting at hair.I am not saying that is what you are doing but it's worth thinking about.DON'T GIVE UP..Good hunting..
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Describe the blood trails you get. Heavy blood with lots of spray? Just a few drops here and there? What color is the blood? Bright red? Pink and bubbly? Dark maroon? When you recover the arrow, look at the blood that coats it. If you see bits of green and brown on it and the arrow stinks, you got paunch.

These are all signs you have to read before you begin tracking.

A liver (dark maroon blood) or paunch shot deer needs several hours before you start tracking. If you're tracking and find a place where the deer has bedded and left a lot of blood, then back off and wait a few more hours. You spooked it out of that bed, but it'll bed down again soon and that's where you'll findthe deerif you don't push it.

A trail with pink and bubbly blood means you got lungs and it shouldn't be more than 200 yards, at the very most.

Bright red with lots of spray usually means heart or a major artery. The deer will often run hard till it bleeds out and drops, and it can cover some ground, especially if it's spooked.

Bright red blood that starts out heavyand with a lotof blood smeared (not sprayed) on thebrushbut rapidly dwindles to a few drops here and there is usually a muscle wound. But it can also mean a high lung shot where the surface blood vessels bleed out on the ground, but the internal blood collects inside the body cavity.

After the shot, stay still and quiet. A lot of the time the deer doesn't know what happened to it and it'll stop to look, sniff and listen to check if it's being chased. When it knows it's safe, it'll calm right down and probably drop right there.If you whoop and holler like a madman, you'll spook the deer and it'll run it's legs off before it drops. No sense in making sure you're gonna have a long blood trail to follow.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like bad shot placement. Gut shots probably. Slow down and pick
a spot right on the crease of the shoulder. Good luck on future hunts.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Practice before wounding anymore,they deserve it and the Deer gods will will be pleased...
Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree, obviously a LOT more practice is needed. The deer were obviously NOT hit anywhere near the lungs which is a very respectable sized targets. Don't try to shoot beyond your own personal abilities. A fatally hit deer should not cover more than 100 to 150 yards before atleast bedding once. The 500 yards is waaaayyyyy to far for a lethal hit and a recovered animals unless it was a liver hit animal that is being pushed. Be careful and practice, practice, practice! Good luck and good shootin' next time.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

either there clotting factor is uncanny or you're not hitting them right. are you positive you hit them in the thoracs. maybe you've been nicking them. thats just unbelievable. twice in one season. you might be gut shooting them. i don't know man, wierd....just wierd.

Quick Reply: Im sick and tired

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.