Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New To Bowhunting >

New To Bowhunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New To Bowhunting

Old 12-10-2005, 03:16 PM

Default New To Bowhunting

Hey All,
I am new to bow hunting. I have gun hunted since I was 12, so for 10 seasons. I have had a lot of success getting three bucks andseveral does. I wantto getinto bowhunting for the challenge and the longer season, soI can have more time in the woods. I have afriendwho is really into bowhunting and wants to get me set up with the new Trykonwith all the bells and whistles. So here is my question. Should i go all out right away, or should I start out with a less expensive bow. I know you all say that you can tell right away how much better it is but If I tryed it, I wouldnt know. I do know that it is pricey but im not sure how much it is. Sounds like about 10 big ones. And i could also use advice for portable deer stands, thx,
Roger
Old 12-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Default RE: New To Bowhunting

Welcome Roger, Why does he want yo to get the Hoyt?I am not knocking them i have 2 myself,but i would go to ashop and try shooting a few different bows and maybe you will like something a bit cheaper.But if price is no issue i say go all out.Good Hunting
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Hi Roger, welcome, as a "fawn" myself i can just tell you my experience. You don't need the fastest bow on the block. Noob's like me need a more forgiving bow, not ultra fast but with a slightly longer brace height and a large axle to axle dimention. This makes the bow more forgiving for beginners error. Don't go for the ultra fast bows either, speed is good, but quit is better.
Most "slow" bows have enough power to deliver a fatal shot to big game even if they don't reach 300+fps.
My advice is go to a archery Pro shop and shootdifferent bows.
Don't pinpoint yourself on one bow.
Feel how the bow shoots and get the right weight arrows for the bow.
Ask the saleperson advise.
Don't spend all your money on "micro adjustable" gear, simple yet effective and sturdy accessories are better.
Remember that for the firstyears even the "cheap" quality bow's will outshoot you.
Archery is a long term project so join an archery club and practice year round till you are certain you can hit a paper deer in it's vitals every time.
The archery instructors will learn you how toshoot a bow.
Then go out in the field and set up targetson different distances and under different angles.
Learn how to judge distance.
Read books and watch bowhunting DVD's
i would advise you to visit the online cabelas store.
The store has everything to outfit you for hunting. and has great prices.
Practice, practice, practice

Archery is like driving a car, you don't start with a F1 car without driving instructions from a qualified instructor.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:18 AM

Thank you guys, I have been looking at cabelas alot, I think they run a store or two on the profit they make off of me. But my friend is going to bring me to that pro shop and i will shoot a lot of diff. bows whent here, thx.