Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are deercam's ethical? >

Are deercam's ethical?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are deercam's ethical?

Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Are deercam's ethical?

OK , OK, implying a deercam is unethical is strong words to get your attention, but I would like to raise some questions...
As I hike out of the woods with my deercam in my hands, I’m excited, its got 25 events on it and I can’t wait to get to my computer to see what’s on it. These camera’s reveal a hidden world, a world I could only speculate before I got the camera. I’ve seen some nice bucks on the pics, I’ve also patterned does to time a successful hunt. I’ve enjoyed taking these photo’s almost as bow hunting. However, a part of me wonders...is this piece of technology weakening my deer sense. Is it replacing the time to scout, the knowledge of deer sign, the cunning of the hunt. Does technology like deercams, electronic calls, high tech bows enhance our selves or is it weakening our ancestral hunting skills? I struggle with the thoughts of a time honored traditional fair chase hunt. But, these camera’s are just too much fun.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are deercam's ethical?

Technology takes us forward (most of the time). I see no problems with a game cam personally, but I guess we all make our own judgements as to what is fair.

I guess if you were truly worried about technology taking us too far, you'd whittle your own bow and arrows and at a minimum us a flintlock muzzel-loader.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just another tool at our disposal. I wouldn't trade geniune scouting for a trail cam alone, but works good in conjunction with.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:05 AM

i never thought about that before. i was actually thinking about getting one, but i think ill just get a regular digi/ or some digi binocs instead. ive seen about all the wildlife i know is here, from foxes under my tree to the great horned owls in a oak 15 feet away. only thing i havent seen yet is a possum and i know they are all over. but i dont think a trail cam is worth it. maybe a cheap 35mm.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Are photo scouting cameras ethical -- you bet! They are an addiction. I hunt for all sorts of game -- but the camera allows me to see the woods when I'm at work or have other things going on. I love wildlife and photogrpahy in general, so watching a buck grow its antlers in summer, or watching the development of triplet fawns is awesome. When you go hunt, and actually see the deer you captured on camera it isa great feeling.

Cameras do not kill deer or increase your chances of deer. It provides you in depth scouting of your enviroment without spreadingscentand disrupting the woods. You still have to get out and HUNT. Period.

Scouting cameras are ethical, and fun.

Now video cameras on the other hand.....I dont know???
Old 12-10-2005, 10:39 AM

Starting to get a little silly.

Where does it end?

I see they have "wildlife eye" video cams now for trees. A deer's only remaining sanctuary was the dark of night.......now that is being taken away and they are being watched 24/7.

I know guys that won't even go hunt an area unless they see something big on their trail cams.

I don't see how being able to secretly record deer movements while sitting on your couch watching TV can be considered "fair chase"
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM

I've always wondered what good they are when we can't hunt them at night anyway.
The fair chase philosophy would kind of eliminate many many developments in our sport over the years, would it not?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:07 AM

I think it is perfectlly all right to use for fun but it is unethical and not fair chase to use as you scouting method. Deer hunting is about getting closer to nature and spending time in the woods looking for tracks and finding scrapes and rubs, not about sitting at your computer looking at pictures of deer from when you were not even in the woods.

I mean whats next homing beacons in the deer so we can see "their travel routes" Just look at your computer before you go out to hunt, go right to the spot they are and shoot. I can already see the post defending the homing beacons, "come on its fair you still have to go into the woods and shoot the derr"
Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Roger_lederer

I mean whats next homing beacons in the deer so we can see "their travel routes" Just look at your computer before you go out to hunt, go right to the spot they are and shoot. I can already see the post defending the homing beacons, "come on its fair you still have to go into the woods and shoot the derr"
what about getting some wireless remote bows? leave it in a tree mounted to an electronic arm,some pullies hooked to a release,little video camera lined behind the sights, with a built in rangfinder. then all you have to do is watch your monitor and click the mouse to fire the bow. i could make millions of this. you still have to chase the deer with the camera?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Of course its ethical. Many deer have survived this year because of trail cams. If you see a large buck on your cam you are going to pass on anything smaller than what you know is there because of your cam. And chances are if all of your pics of this bruiser are at night then your chances of taking him are slim at best. That is why I am sitting here with a little ground venison in my freezer from last year left and kicking myself in the ass for letting so many deer walk in October cuz I knew there was a big boy there,my camera told me so. 1 more week till the season opens back up. I sure hope he survived those damb slug hunters.....

Quick Reply: Are deercam's ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.